Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with switch housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:40 PM
srawden
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with switch housing

I think I screwed up! I put a new set of grips on my 05 ultra and forgot to put the spacer in the break lever. when I put it back together and hit the break lever I got a shaved spiral piece of plastic that came out of it and now my break light keeps flickering on and off. All I have to do is just wiggle the break lever. Can anyone help me out? I checked the manual and the rubber boot looks ok on the break switch? Thanks for your help, Steve

Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: need help with switch housing

The small plastic piece that broke off is part of the brake light switch, it can not be repaired. You will have to replace the brake light switch.

Don't feel bad I did the same thing. What a pain in the *** to replace the switch!

Steve

Old 04-07-2006, 11:40 PM
srawden
Cruiser

Steve, did you do it your self or did you take it to the dealer. If you did it your self, was it hard to get the housing apart. It was hard for me just to get the new grips on it. If I remove the grip can I get to the switch. or will I need to take the housing all apart. Thanks for your help, Steve

Old 04-08-2006, 12:03 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

Replacing the switch is not hard. You are going to have to know how to solder wires and heat shrink the tubing on them. The procedure for changing the grips tells you to put a cardboard spacer in the brake switch so you don't break the switch when you put it back together. It's easy to follow the directions in the service manual. replacing the grips requires you to lengthen the throttle cables all the way to allow you to remove the housings easily from the handle bars. You can count the threads on the cables and tighten them back to where they were or you can just tighten them to the throttle cushion that all harley's have. I have replaced dozen's of grips in my days and have never had a problem. just remember to replace the spring spacer when you put them back together....it keeps the switch from pushing back into the housing.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 AM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the switch is something you won't regret paying someone else to do. Someone who's done it before...

Old 04-08-2006, 05:21 AM
Pauljr
Cruiser

You did it too. Dam, just about everyone reads the cardboard trick after breaking the switch.
I did the same thing. Sorry Man 1 new switch coming up.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:18 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may not be the switch. there is a thin shim between the lever and the switch. I lost mine when changing the switch covers and made a new one out of a thin piece of plastic. How can a garage floor swallow up the tiny things that are dropped on it and where do they go? some sort of small part purgatory I 'spose.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It SEEMED like such an easy job! What could go wrong? Been there - done that!!! Make sure the plastic piece is from the switch. If it is you know what you got to do. Sorry dude.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:14 AM
slburgie
Advanced
Default Handlebar brake switch

Good tip on not loosing the spacer between the brake lever and micro switch on the brake/throttle control assembly. I had the brake light intermittently flickering on and off and had replaced the grips. Couldn't find the plastic spacer that was in there which would push the micro switch into the open condition when the brake wasn't applied. Took a small door (plastic) cushion and with the adhesive back, applied it to the brake lever where it pushed in the micro switch when no applied and it works like a champ. No more flickering light or cruise control shutting off on rough roads.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Firechaser1141
Tourer

Originally Posted by ricoman
it may not be the switch. there is a thin shim between the lever and the switch. I lost mine when changing the switch covers and made a new one out of a thin piece of plastic. How can a garage floor swallow up the tiny things that are dropped on it and where do they go? some sort of small part purgatory I 'spose.
this is where my moneys at.