Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Westminster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Procedure

Taking encouragement from many comments on the forum, I bought the manual and figured I could at least change my oil. With experienced friend helping, no problems but I do have a couple questions on Primary Chain lube. First, the manual directs to disconnect the battery before proceeding. Is this really necessary? I just used the kill switch to insure the engine wouldn’t inadvertently jump start while advancing rear wheel to check the chain tension. What don’t I understand about this precaution?

Second, when it comes to filling the primary chain reservoir the manual stipulates pouring oil in through the clutch inspection cover. It seems like it would be a lot easier to pour oil in through primary chain inspection cover opening. In fact, my clutch assembly sits closer to the edge of the casing making it very difficult to add oil. There is not enough of a lip on the edge of the opening to pour directly so we had to do a make-shift conduit from oil bottle. Is there a reason I can’t change primary chain oil by pouring oil in through primary chain cover opening?

Thanks for any tips or insights.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First, harley will tell you to disconnect the battery for about every instruction they give you its a cover there *** direction in case something bad happens. No need to do it.

And yes most everyone fills there oil thru the inspection cover on the bikes that have them.

glad to see your doing it after the first time it gets easy.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:39 AM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
First, harley will tell you to disconnect the battery for about every instruction they give you its a cover there *** direction in case something bad happens. No need to do it.

And yes most everyone fills there oil thru the inspection cover on the bikes that have them.

glad to see your doing it after the first time it gets easy.
What he said. Disconnecting the battery keeps the lawyers happy. Be smart about it and disconnect it if you are doing electrical work. I don't see any way the engine can jump with the ignition switch off.

Pour your primary oil in whichever hole happens to be open. The later models, like my '08 Road Glide don't have the primary chain inspection cover so you're stuck using the clutch hole.

If you have friends to back you up don't be afraid to do anything on your bike. Harleys are pretty straight forward with their design, which makes them easy to work on. The more you do the smarter you'll get but more importantly you'll save a ton of money on labor. Use the money you save on labor to buy tools and accessories.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:44 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your approach is right on target. Go with it.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Westminster
Advanced

Thanks my friends for your replies and encouragement.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Westminster
First, the manual directs to disconnect the battery before proceeding. Is this really necessary?
No. It's lawyerspeak with no practical aspect.

Second, when it comes to filling the primary chain reservoir the manual stipulates pouring oil in through the clutch inspection cover. It seems like it would be a lot easier to pour oil in through primary chain inspection cover opening. In fact, my clutch assembly sits closer to the edge of the casing making it very difficult to add oil. There is not enough of a lip on the edge of the opening to pour directly so we had to do a make-shift conduit from oil bottle. Is there a reason I can’t change primary chain oil by pouring oil in through primary chain cover opening?
'07's and above don't have the inspection cover, so the Derby cover is the only alternative. But I would still use the Derby cover in your case since it doesn't use a messy paper gasket. Maybe newer bikes are different, but my '96 RK used a paper gasket for the chain inspection cover and it was a pain to change since you had to scrape it off both the cover and outer primary cover. My '07's clutch basket is also very close to the outer primary cover, but it also has an indentation that allows you to insert a funnel. I'm not sure if yours has one or not.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

I think think the owner manuel says to fill the primary up to and just over the edge of the clutch plates, which you can just see in the funnel cut out with the derby cover removed. If you have the other opening at the top of the case you will need to measure the oil. Other then that really simple.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

going to do mine this year for the first time! oh boy

Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the inspection cover use it. You are already in there checking the adjustment on the primary chain anyway !!!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Some people at one time or another have actually drained the oil and absent mindedly driven off forgetting they did so,thus the dissconect battery.Believe it or not!fill primary through chain inspection,it is much less hassle.Good Luck

Quick Reply: Oil Change Procedure