Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock seat pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 PM
aped06classic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock seat pan

Has anyone ever cut down the stock seat pan on the electra glide classic. I just want it to sit lower and move me back about a inch or so. I was going to buy a new solo seat but it is scratched underneath and I do not feel like taking the fender off to paint it just yet. I have enough stuff off the bike now as you can see in my profile. Thanks for all the help guys. If anyone has some pics that would be great too.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Most send them to Mean City Cycles, check him out, he's a sponsor here on the forum and goes by BadX

Old 02-17-2009, 07:43 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default seat

The cover is just stapled on and can be easily removed then you can reshape the foam to tour likeing and staple the cover back on.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
aped06classic
Novice

Thanks guys will contact them or try to do it myself.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you need to cut the seat pan just trim the foam. I know some that used an electric knife for carving turkey and it turned out great.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not done it on the EG seat, However, I DID cut the pan on my wifes Deluxe. After removing the cover, and fm, I cut about 1 inch off each side of the front portion of the pan. Put it all back together and it nearrowed the seat enough to get the wife off her toes and flat footed at stops.

Was easy to do, I used a bndsaw, and then slit a piece of 1/4" hose to cover the cut and protectthe foam and her leg. Taped tht in place and viola, easy Mod.

As for cutting foam...Make sure you use an electric carving knife. Hand carving won't be smooth, and you want it as smooth as possible before putting the cover back on. You can also sand it after cutting with an power sander used gently. to smooth things out and make it more even. (learned from an experienced upolster installer.)

Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer

I don't know how badly your rear fender is scratched, but you can go this route with a solo seat. www.timberwolfleather.com. I have one of their fender bibs and they do nice work. Mustang seats also had a fender bib.

MeanCityCyles (forum sponser) did a great job on my seat. They narrowed it and lowered it using some nice memory foam.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trlfindr is right...if you have the right tools...you can do it yourself with a minimal of effort. i've done this before and it comes out great. you just need to be patient...chop and test...chop and test...you don't want to take off too much! SOme Mihg tnot to trim the seat pan itself...but us inseam challenged people need abit of extra help in that dept...trimming the seat pan helps with that! LOL

Buying aftermarket is excellent too...you just spend a few extra bucks...and I've seen a number of totally awesome seat form the vendors shown above!

Good luck on making your choices or engaging in your project!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Yamhill Guy
Intermediate

I've read lots of posts about modifying seats as I also need to do something with mine (I'm also inseam challenged!). The general consensus seems to be that it's not worth doing too much dollar-wise to the original seat, primarily because it is a plastic pan. The pan flexes a lot and isn't worth much. If you want to send it off to someone that reshapes or otherwise customizes the seat, it's better to do it with something that has a metal seat pan. If your doing it yourself, however, then I'd say go for it.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on MEANCITYCYCLES. Allen and his staff are fantastic.