Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Backrest

Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts
Default Backrest..i don't need no stinkin backrest!!!(when o'lady rides that is!!!!!!!!)

Hey in my part of the country it is the wife duty to be the backrest(Ballrest..ECT.)So Yes it always comes off when she rides...Hell id rather rest against a set of ******* anyday over a backrest!!!!.....Just funnin Ladies.....About the duty part anyway!!!....No diss-respect intended!!!..Dont want non of that there HATE Mail!!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
dan1551
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No BRA`S on the back ...........thats my rule!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:13 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are lucky. I've got the adjustable one and I hate it. I have it pushed all of the way back and it still pushes me forward. It forces me to set too far forward on the seat. It feels good on my back, but with where I have to set on the seat makes it too uncomfortable to use. I really wish I could use it.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:22 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I am considering buying a rider's backrest. I am fine on 99% of my riding days, but on the days I run 500+ miles, I get pain and fatigue in between my shoulder blades. Never my lower back. Most say the bar postion has more to do with the between the shoulder blade pain than the backrest.

Changing bars is much more expensive and time consuming than adding a backrest. Those you who have a rider backrest, does it help the fatigue between your shoulder blades or just your lower back?

Dennis

Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

I can't say how it will relieve the fatigue, but I am looking forward to the test. I pulled up Mapqwest last night and the mileage came out to almost 2400, with hitting Michigan, New York, New Jersey and back to Illinois. That is just getting to each placed and not the riding while I am there. Can't wait for Michigan on Saturday.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default backrest

Originally Posted by Maxcustody
Just bought the HD rider backrest and installed it. First it had to be one of the easiest installs ever, clear instructions and no problems. It really only took 10 minutes. I didn't get a chance to test it out, but starting Saturday I am riding to Michigan, New Jersey and New York, so I will get a real good test.
I bought the same one, I had to move it back to the next to last hole in the bracket. I wanted to use the last one but it wouldn't fit with the seat one. The first time it felt like I was riding on the tank. Now it's not to bad and till I get a whole day ride with it I can't really tell.

Had one on my other bike, love it.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

Nitroshark. Take the seat off and adjust the bracket back. Select another hole in the bracked until you get it right. Should not push you forward if you have it adjusted to the most rear position. Takes time to get em right. Once you do you will never ride without it. Good Luck

Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Duke of HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by Maxcustody
Just bought the HD rider backrest and installed it. First it had to be one of the easiest installs ever, clear instructions and no problems. It really only took 10 minutes. I didn't get a chance to test it out, but starting Saturday I am riding to Michigan, New Jersey and New York, so I will get a real good test.

Here is the part # 51631-09A and a pic .

OK so I am interested in getting this same backrest on my bike Part # 51631-09A. Now what I want to know is this the actual shape of the backrest or is it shaped like this........

Asking because I MUCH prefer the tapered shape in the second image but Part # 51631-09 is shaped like the above smaller image. So is the superseded part # reflect the change in shape?? or are they both the same shape and the pic on the HD website is incorrect??

Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Montyb123
Advanced

I have found that the back rest can't be moved far enough back to be comfortable. It puts me too close to the tank and isn't a rest, it is a stop. I bent the bracket but it really puts stress on the seat cushion. Use it periodically.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 PM
hfd13
Cruiser

i thought about it. after my trip to myrtle beach and back. 2,465 miles round trip its the next thing on my list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rider Backrest