Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:04 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one. Installed in the rear most hole. I don't think it's the position that bothers me so much as the angle of the backrest. it seems its tilted forward a bit too much and it contacts my back about midway up with little contact at the LOWER part of my back where I really need it. I'm thinking about bending the bar a bit-won't take much. I think a 1/4" tilt would make a world of difference. I looked at the mount bracket that you bolt to the frame, but it can't really be bent or shimmed as everything is welded and mounts solid. If I end up doing a little bend, I'll post and let everyone know how it works out.
But even with the minor adjustment needed I would still hate to ride on a long trip without it. It's MUCH better than no backrest at all.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:51 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ezryder62881
I have one. Installed in the rear most hole. I don't think it's the position that bothers me so much as the angle of the backrest. it seems its tilted forward a bit too much and it contacts my back about midway up with little contact at the LOWER part of my back where I really need it. I'm thinking about bending the bar a bit-won't take much. I think a 1/4" tilt would make a world of difference. I looked at the mount bracket that you bolt to the frame, but it can't really be bent or shimmed as everything is welded and mounts solid. If I end up doing a little bend, I'll post and let everyone know how it works out.
But even with the minor adjustment needed I would still hate to ride on a long trip without it. It's MUCH better than no backrest at all.
Adjust the set screw. It allows the pad to tilt back. It is located under the pad cover grommet on the backside.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer

Yep--already adjusted to tilt as far back as possible. Still seems to be tilted too far forward. I must be deformed.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
shoveldog
Tourer

I have heard the good and bad about the HD backrest. Does anybody know if the Mustang unit is compatable with the HD seats? Is their angle better? My RK has the HD Tallboy seat , with the backrest bracket & release under it, but no backrest came with it.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
qwest
Cruiser

I've got the non-adjustable HD backrest. When first installed it pushed me too far forward even with the screw adjusted all the way out.

Instead of bending the bars, I put a couple of washers under the bracket at the front of the base. This little adjustment moved the backrest way back.

Put the backrest down at the bottom set of holes to move it as far toward the back of the bike as you can.

I'm totally happy with mine now. Can't imagine riding without it.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer

Yours must mount different than mine. I was gonna try the "shim it with washers" trick, but after looking at it (I actually did put a couple of washers under it), It makes no difference. The mount bracket is mounted solid to the frame and the only thing that shimming the bracket does is to make the bracket mount tabs bend--it mounts too solidly to the frame. Hard to explain without pics (I know -"useless without pics"). But trust me, I can't shim mine.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what's involved in the install? from what i can tell, the backrest goes thru the slit/hole in between the driver and passenger seat. but, where does it bolt to? when you take your seat off, does the seat and backrest come off as one unit?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM
armyof1
Cruiser

i got the first one from Dawg props go out B! and i freaking love it. once i got it set to the right position i will never ride with out it! again thanks Dawg!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer

It's an easy install. The seat comes off and the bracket mounts to the frame under the seat. The seat goes back on and the backrest slips into the slit and locks into the just mounted bracket. Very easy to understand instructions. To remove the backrest you reach your hand into the (tight as a virgins a**) slit in the seat and squeeze the backrest bars together to pop it out of the bracket. It's kinda a pain in the *** so I hardly ever remove mine.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine. It is very comfortable and it never comes off the bike.

Quick Reply: Rider Backrest