Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower a street glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:35 AM
burnafatty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Lower a street glide

What is the best way to lower a street glide? I will get seat worked on but is there a better way?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:55 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

You're already 1" lower than the rest of the touring family. Try to stay away from lowering blocks on the rear if you do...they change the geometry and usually don't give that great a ride. Progressive, Penske usually make the best lowering shocks and spring for both front and rear. But remember...the less travel...the quicker you might be to bottom out on the rear if you ride 2 up!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 05-25-2009, 08:37 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't think you can lower the rear of it any more than it is. Your best bet is to get a seat that'll lower you some. Bear in mind a seat that'll lower you will also move you back. I have 30" inseam not exactly short but I'm not very tall either. I put 12" shocks, (street glide has 12" shocks from the factory) and put a C & C solo seat on it . I always felt like i was setting up on the bike and with this seat I'm sitting in the bike. I flat foot it easily now. To be honest I didn't have any trouble riding it before I changed the shocks and the seat, most of us feel better when we can put our feet flat on the ground. My brother lowered his RK in the rear with 12" shocks and then put lowering blocks on it, when he put his woman on there with him the tire rubbed the fender all the time on rough roads. ended up tearing up his taillight wires and it didn't take but a day or two. Unless you and your partner are really lightweights I wouldn't lower the rear over an inch,.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:14 AM
maxflhx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Progressive has 11 inch shocks in a bunch of variations to get you lower without messing with ride quality. You will also find the floorboards alot quicker when you lower it so take it easy in the corners!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:41 AM
onthelo
Road Master

you can lower the front with the hd lowering kit like 1" but for the rear if you dont use lowering blocks with the stock shocks thats as low as your gonna go any lower like the others said with progressives the rides a little firmer.. but it looks awsome!! Id go first off with the seat maybe even have it shaved. my sidekick seat puts me real low..

Old 05-25-2009, 09:29 PM
missile
Tourer

I am running the lowering kit on the rear of my 09 SG and have no issues. I ride 2 up with 45-50psi (it is an 09) and solo around 25psi no issues at all with bottoming out. My wife rode with me this weekend for the first time since putting the blocks on and I had made up my mind if she noticed then I would remove them but she thought it rode better and we were on some really ruff roads. I am only running the kit in the 1" lower setting the manufacture only recommended this for 2 up ridding. I don't like the ideal of the blocks changing the rear shocks angle but so far no problems. By the way my wife and I are around 270 pounds together.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by missile
I am running the lowering kit on the rear of my 09 SG and have no issues. I ride 2 up with 45-50psi (it is an 09) and solo around 25psi no issues at all with bottoming out. My wife rode with me this weekend for the first time since putting the blocks on and I had made up my mind if she noticed then I would remove them but she thought it rode better and we were on some really ruff roads. I am only running the kit in the 1" lower setting the manufacture only recommended this for 2 up ridding. I don't like the ideal of the blocks changing the rear shocks angle but so far no problems. By the way my wife and I are around 270 pounds together.
This just about describes my situation also except for a combined weight of just over 300 lbs. Keeping the shocks inflated slightly over stock recommendations is a key I believe. My kit looks as if shock angle might have changed around 2 degrees + or -. So far so good after about 5000 miles.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could go with the Arnott Aldan or Bilstein Air Shocks.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Bobberino
Road Master

I agree with a lot of members whove already posted. Lowering a bike is like lowering a car....it looks nice, but the ride sucks. I did a bunch of setups from air rides to the the progressive shocks i have now. I honestly would say, if you do 2 up riding in anyway, weekend ride or everyday, I would go with 1/2 inch drop on the rear. Anything lower your gonna rub. Air rides are also nice, you can drop it and raise it to your liking. Im 5'4" and my inseam is 29 or so, and even with a lowered seat.....uh lapera custom modified, with sneakers, i still tippy toe....with boots im fine. Whatever you do, good luck!!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:21 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i was actually gonna try to trade off my stock 08 sg shocks to a guy with a same year ultra so i could get the ride that the bike deserves. then decided against it and stuck with the stock setup. you can lower the front end as the rear is already lowered.

Quick Reply: Lower a street glide