Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob battery???

Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old.gezr View Post
No, it's every other year!
right.........

Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM
mca1989
One Of The Regulars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

smart idea about carring an extra battery, I will do the same

Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys, thank you for the input. i just was thinking about it while riding the other day, and said to myself, hmm, if the battery in my key fob goes dead, and i can't remember how to do the turn signal thing to allow it to start, i'm sorta screwed. good information, and thanks again.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always tape a spare Fob battery on the inside of the saddle bag lid.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch View Post
i have had mine for 2-1/2 years. still on the original battery. i figure that when the battery goes, i'll just use the manual disarm procedure until i get to the store to buy a new battery. i'd rather replace it with a fresh battery, than one that i've been hanging on to for a year or two.
that's what I'm thinking..the security thing kinda scared me when I first got the bike. I took the little card in the owners manual and wrote my code on it just like they instructed and stuck in my wallet (at least I think that is where it is) so I can find if that day every comes.

Last edited by mike5511; 07-22-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One fob died at about 9 months while I was on a Toys for Tots ride. Kinda sucked having to use the code the rest of the day. Changed both batteries when I got home. I think I may get a battery and tape inside the saddlebag just for the heck of it.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 AM
TheeDog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine died less then six months on a trip to D.C.

Pulled in to get gas and then went to pull away and the bike would not start, siren blaring, lights flashing right in the middle of a huge gas station/truck stop, Real busy with the breakfast crowd. I try again same result. Cars are lining up waiting to use the pump so I look at my wife start laughing and ask "Will you push" the closest place that is safe to look at the bike and park it is slightly up hill in a parking spot about 50' away. I jump on the bike she starts pushing alarm starts blaring lights start flashing I start laughing she starts calling me all kind of names. We had a good crowd at this point that smiled at our or my wife's achievement.

The rest of the weekend I was punching in that damm code as the rest of my group was waiting for me. Now I carry a spare battery.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:06 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rapz View Post
How long does the stock battery last?
Haven't read all of the posts ...

I think 2 years is realistic, but it's such a no-brainer to swap, put in a new one every year just to be sure. I'd hate to be somewhere and the $.50 battery dies on me.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badjustbad View Post
Mine didn't last a year. I was riding in the cold last fall and stopped in a small town to fill up. When I went to leave the siren began blaring - my bike didn't detect the FOB in my pocket. It turns out the FOB was in my outside pocket away from my body heat and it was so cold the battery froze and didn't have enough power to send out a signal. There were no batteries in the small town but fortunately I had the card in my wallet that tells me how to disable the alarm. When the FOB warmed up it was good to go again. Needless to say, I carry a spare battery with me all the time.

Just as a caveat....some service stations have impulse readers for their gas pumps that read the bar code on credit cards. There have been a few reports of this interfering with the signal from the fobs.

If this happens again, push your bike 50-100 feet away from the pumps allowing time for your alarm to reset. You then should be able to start your bike.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rapz View Post
How long does the stock battery last?
Not really sure how long it lasts, but it is recommended to change every 2 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key fob battery???

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: