Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob battery???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:07 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i guess i'm the odd man out on this one. if the battery goes out on my fob, i will just use the manual disarm procedure until i can get to walmart/dollar store/etc.... to buy a new one. why stick a battery in your tour pak where it is subjected to hot/cold temperature fluctuations that reduce its shelf life so that when you need to replace it, it is only gonna last you 6 months?
That's kind of what I was thinking. First thing I did was learn how to manually disarm the system, not go out and get a spare battery (running 2 1/2 yrs on the original one, btw). Who knows when the fob may not work and the problem may or may not be a bad battery...

Old 12-26-2009, 10:08 PM
bmarin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to add a second fob to my bike but can't find how to do it in the onwers manual. Does the dealr have to do it?
Bob

Old 12-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Jday53
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default key fob

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Just as a caveat....some service stations have impulse readers for their gas pumps that read the bar code on credit cards. There have been a few reports of this interfering with the signal from the fobs.

If this happens again, push your bike 50-100 feet away from the pumps allowing time for your alarm to reset. You then should be able to start your bike.
Mine does this every time at the gas station here in town what a pain scared me first time it happened

Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Have never had the gas station problem, but I did have to try to start it a couple of times before it would start up. Changed the battery and all was ok again. About 2 1/2 years on the first one. I have two fobs, so need to change the other one in the spring and pick up a spare as a back up.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Originally Posted by emwolb
question, i'm thinking that the fobs have a battery, a watch type. if so, then when time comes and you need to replace the battery do you also have to marry the fob to the bike? or is that a dealer only classified information thing?
All you need to do is replace the battery which I do once a year to make sure I don't have a battery die on me when I am on a trip. I also carry a spare in the tour pack.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Seaweed
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Good idea on the spare battery. They're cheap enough.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Knight2
Tourer

WHoa!!!
Five pages just on a Fob battery!!!

(glad I read all of it! lol) good thread.
Going to store later to get two new ones!

Pete

Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 AM
ENTERPRISE
Tourer

you never know when they will die.mine only lasted 2 months.thought there was a problem but was just the battaiers.new ones in it now and all has been well

Old 12-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Chips
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Knight2
WHoa!!! Five pages just on a Fob battery!!!
lol...guess I'll read anything in the off-season.

actually ...it's a gd thread.
From now on, I'll change the battery every Spring. Better safe than..

Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Default Batteries are CHEAP

Think of it like your Smoke Detector battery. A 2 pack is cheap at Wally World, just check the expire date on packaging. You never know when an old box got mixed in with current stock. Maybe no SWI to follow a FIFO procedure (first in / first out ) so they could have an old box that gets stocked. If the expire date is a year or 2 out, then you should be good to go. Plus learn how to Manually enter your PIN. Sh*t Happens!! Me, I will change to new batteries before every Spring riding season, Why? I need to worry about all those reckless fools in vehicles not whether my FOB battery is OK.

Quick Reply: Key fob battery???