Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 AM
albion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Brake Pedal

Hi. Question regarding rear brake pedal on my 1997 RK. The pedal is too far back for me to get my toe on the pedal with my heel on the foot board. The angle is bad - too upright and I just can't bend my foot back enough to get on the pedal - I have to lift my foot off the floorboard and plonk my instep on the pedal. I need the pedal to go forwards by about an inch. Because of this I find progressive braking and dragging brake for slow turns a real problem. Okay, hands up, I've only done about 3000 miles on the bike, so maybe this is a common thing and I just have to get used to it.

Anyone else have this problem or is there a way to alter the angle of the pedal? My local dealer says not, yet I notice I can do it on his soft tail...and I've watch several videos of road kings and the pedals look lower than mine.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Check for replacement brake pedals at parts suppliers like Dennis Kirk, JP Cycles, etc. They have online catalogs. I don't know if all 97s are like that. I don't have that problem on my Road King. However, I do wear a US size 13 boot.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:41 AM
big_e78
Cruiser

Just tale the bolt out, realign the brake pedal and tighten down again.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:48 AM
allaco
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default brake pedal

i put an extended brake arm on it moved it forward about 1.5 inches and also flattened out the angle. there are several manufacturers out there good luck

Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only complaint I have with my road king is that the the controls are not out far enough. I feel bow legged if I put my feet on the floorboards. I tend to ride with my heal on the floorboards and my toe on the highway pegs. The brake really needs to come out about 3 inches.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem with my brake pedal. I replaced it with an EZ-Brake extended pedal and I love it. Very comfortable to now to raise my toe and place it on the pedal. I put the matching extended shifter on as well.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the EZ Brake pedals and shifters. It's on of the first upgrades I did to my bike. Add floorboard spacers, and you're set.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i went with the extended reach billet brake lever on mine and it solved the problem of not having enough room for my size 13s

Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
albion
Cruiser

Thanks guys - good to know I'm not alone...i felt a bit dumb asking the question at the dealer. Like a couple of you, I have UK size 11's...

I gather from Big E78 that the lever is on a spline shaft? Okay, I'll probs try that first and let you know how I get on. Those billet brake and shifter parts look the business! I've kept the bike factory original so far, but I'm not going to let that affect my riding safety or enjoyment. They would make a superb addition. Thanks for everyone's input - I have more confidence to get the spanners out now. Ciao!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:32 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I might even have my "stock" brake lever which was extended reach off a Police Road King lying around if you want to stay "stock", but give yourself some more room.

Quick Reply: Road King Brake Pedal