Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel bearing failure

Old 09-20-2009, 06:39 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front wheel bearing failure

Was out today on my 08 ultra and the left front bearing failed bike has 15,000 any tricks for removing the old and pressing a new one in manual says use their puller and installer but putting it in looks like a threaded rod and some washers out of warranty by 2 weeks it figures
Thanks Ian

Attached Thumbnails front wheel bearing failure-dsci0026.jpg  
Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Mine failed on my 09 UC at 11k miles, think it had to do with the front tire cupping issue on the D407, the dealer relaced free under warranty.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They are a bitch to get out.. the H/D puller actually goes in and grabs the inner race to pull the bearing out. Get one side out and you can knock the other side out. We put mine in with a bearing and seal driver and hammered them in but you have to start from the correct side or you can put the first bearing in too far. Id have too look in my manual but if you look at the inside of the wheel one side is bored deeper than the bearing width. The other is the correct depth. That side goes in first then the spacer then the other bearing.. Hope this helps..

Old 09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

will have to see in the morning ,I will take it apart I bought the new bearings and will replace both tomorrow might bring the wheel to an Indy to press them in I will look first

Old 09-20-2009, 07:16 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain

George makes a great bearing removal/pressing tool. If you don't plan on doing too many, you can look for one used or buy one and resell it when you're done. I wouldn't attempt a homemade solution, the bearings can be ruined quite easily without the right tool.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 PM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IBHarley
Was out today on my 08 ultra and the left front bearing failed bike has 15,000 any tricks for removing the old and pressing a new one in manual says use their puller and installer but putting it in looks like a threaded rod and some washers out of warranty by 2 weeks it figures
Thanks Ian
If you're only 2 weeks out of warranty give H-D Customer Service a call and cry on their shoulder. They Goodwill an out-of-warranty stator failure for me a few years ago. Ask for what you want... worst they can do is say no.

414-343-4056

TL

Old 09-20-2009, 11:07 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you far from home? Did it make a loud racket or did you feel it in the handlbars?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

real bad vibration in the bars almost felt like a flat tire

Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that bearing sure did fail! And that's very premature it seems to me. How long do they usually last? I know u felt a bad vibration, but prior to the total failure by chance did you hear a humming or anything to indicate a problem? Just curious what to watch for.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM
n.o.yat
Cruiser
Default bearings

mine went out at about ten thousand miles. i replaced them myself w/ a homade puller. if you replace them youself, put the new bearings in your freezer, it will make it easier to put them in . believe me it works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front wheel bearing failure