Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heel toe shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 04:05 PM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heel toe shifter

I have a 2009 SG

The heel toe shifter rattles and make a lot of racket. I noticed the spacer is made of rubber.

How tight is the shifter supposed to be against the rubber spacer? The book doesn't address it.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
gunnerglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't rattle or even be loose on the shaft. I took mine off and threw it in the bag for a spare. Moved the toe shifter to the end of the shaft and made a spacer out of the rubber piece off the heel shifter. I've always been a toe shifter guy and couldn't get into the heel thing. You definetely sound like you need to tighten it up.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:58 PM
cathead
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also get a washer from the hardware store that is shaped like a wave - the
correct name for it escapes me at the moment, I'm sure someone else here knows what it's called. Anyway it goes on the shaft so that it's closest to the primary cover and will keep tension on the assembly. For that matter you may be able to make one out of a regular flat washer by bending it 10 or 15 degrees.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:15 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Arrow you're one of the lucky ones...

Originally Posted by 0ut1aw
I have a 2009 SG

The heel toe shifter rattles and make a lot of racket. I noticed the spacer is made of rubber.

How tight is the shifter supposed to be against the rubber spacer? The book doesn't address it.
Most of us didn't notice it was loose until it fell off and we had to buy another lever & peg. Those levers always seem to loosen on the splines. Locktite didn't work for me, the bolt stretches with tightening. I replaced it with a grade 8 bolt, long enough to put a nylon collared nut (locknut) on the bottom side. Nice and tight now, no rattles, and no worries about losing it.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnerglide
Shouldn't rattle or even be loose on the shaft. I took mine off and threw it in the bag for a spare. Moved the toe shifter to the end of the shaft and made a spacer out of the rubber piece off the heel shifter. I've always been a toe shifter guy and couldn't get into the heel thing. You definetely sound like you need to tighten it up.
I always take my heel shifter off too, but I don't move the toe shifter out like yours. Instead I get the lil chrome cap they sell to cover up the extension.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnerglide
Funny I did the exact same thing.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:06 PM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My shifter assy more less fell off. The HD stuff just does not last. Probably Chinese. Regardless, I purchased a Pingel shifter shaft from Dennis Kirk. Stainless steel. Comes fitted with a grease zerk. Much better quality than stock. The splines on my toe shifter were shot. But the heel shifter were fine. Flipped that to the toe shifter position. I then purchased an aluminum spacer from Pingel. This allowed the shifter in the outboard most position and the spacer takes up the slack. Lots of room on the floorboard. I like the idea of using a longer through bolt with the lock nut. I will give that a try if'n I need to. However, the Pingel stuff seems to have been the cure for my itinerant shifter assembly. And..the Pingel stuff is made in the good old US of A. None of this MOCO Chinese made crap.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by cathead
You can also get a washer from the hardware store that is shaped like a wave - the correct name for it escapes me at the moment, I'm sure someone else here knows what it's called.
How about "wave washer" or "wavy washer" ?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they sell an anti rattle kit for this problem here.
http://www.stevensonscycle.com/Products/Peoducts.html

Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 PM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pushed it up real tight and put some tension on the rubber spacer, we'll see how long that lasts.

I like that link. Not too much $$ either.

Quick Reply: heel toe shifter