Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio/CD/MP3 for a 2000 FLHTPI

Old 07-06-2006, 04:54 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio/CD/MP3 for a 2000 FLHTPI

Hey all. What exactly would I need to get/do to have AM/FM Stereo with CD player/MP3. I recall reading something about the police bike didn't come with a factory harness for the stereo? Or am I on drugs... Anything special I would need in terms of actual radio units in order to fit/mount correctly, mounting bracketry, wiring harnesses. What works/fits? Speakers too. What about an antenna? Would the "hidden" antenna thing do the trick? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 AM
sporty12
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radio/CD/MP3 for a 2000 FLHTPI

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

Hey all. What exactly would I need to get/do to have AM/FM Stereo with CD player/MP3. I recall reading something about the police bike didn't come with a factory harness for the stereo? Or am I on drugs... Anything special I would need in terms of actual radio units in order to fit/mount correctly, mounting bracketry, wiring harnesses. What works/fits? Speakers too. What about an antenna? Would the "hidden" antenna thing do the trick? Thanks for any help.
Eyespy,
I went with the cradle and bezel from http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id138.html
Install went smooth as silk. I picked up one of the Sony compatible AM/FM/CD/MP3 players on sale at Circuit City.
I used a hidden antenna purchased at a local auto parts store. As a precaution, my next purchase is a waterproof marine cover.
Good luck, and nice ride.

Russ
2003 FLHTPI

Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
dhutchison
Tourer

The eglide goodies kit is a Hawg Wired set up. If you like the looks of it, let me know. I'm a dealer for them and sell for a discount to forum members.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior

Thanks guys for the helpful replies.

sporty12: I looked at the eglidegoodies bezel and cradle PDF installation instructions. No pictures for the dumbasses like me LOL. So the description of the cradle on the eglidegoodies website says it is for replacing an existing stock Harley radio and an aftermarket single DIN radio. My bike right now has no radio at all, just the empty opening/recess where the radio would theoretically fit. The PDF instructions make reference to using the existing mounting hardware, but I wonder if my bike has such hardware, since it did not come with a radio. Plus, I'm not sure there is even any wiring harness in there, and if I will have to figure out how to wire it up. ANd I doubt there are any speakers behind the grill cloths. BTW, thanks for the compliment on the ride.

dhutchison: Sure, I am interested. I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff and can make this work. As you can see, I am without a clue lmoa.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
wldhogn
Tourer

Just as another option .. you may want to look at the Retro Radio setup from Biketronics Click Here! and for the hidden antenna a good choice is the Tune Trapper See it Here!
Hope that helps.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I have a Hawg Wired setup on my 2003 FLHTPI, I got a cheap JVC radio at Best Buy (DIN mount)

The cradle bolts in in place of the pocket in the dash under the guages
remove the Batwing (7 screws) then the 4 screws that hold that pocket thing in. pops right out, then the cradle, bezel and radio pop in , replace the screws. BTW the bezel has a nice O ring to seal the unit.

You just need to pick up switched and memory power under the fairing somewhere. I forget where we took mine from but it is under there somewhere

5 1/4 inch speakers bolt right in the fairing, I had to use a few washers to space them back a little from the fairing. no big deal.

The antenna is the hard part.

Name:  IM001139.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  34.9 KB

Old 07-08-2006, 04:09 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior

wldhogn, thanks for the additional links. I will look into that.

Neggy ZRXOA 5248, thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:50 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

eyespy,

I installed a sony 5710 stereo in my 2004 flhtpi about a month ago, there was no factory wiring for a stereo on my bike,however there was a antenna lead up in the fairing and it ran to the back of the bike along the wiring harness of the bike. I had no speaker mounts in the fairing.

I used the biketronic's mount for the radio ( $49.95 mount only ,no interface)
tunetrapper antenna in the fairing
biketronic's rain cover
HogTunes speakers
factory speaker mounts(zanotti's had the best price)
made up my own wire harness as I went along ,not at all hard to do.

the sony 5710 stereo only requires 4 wires for front speakers,1 battery power(used the radio memory circut,which is already in the wiring harness to the fairing and is fused as well) ,2 switched power (which i used the cig lighter outlet for that source,it's switched power) 1 ground wire.

I found everything for power right in the fairing,and didnt have to needlessly run wires all over the place.

sure it would be nice to have thumb controls,but i really dont need them.

give me a shout if you need anything else for info

Old 07-08-2006, 08:16 AM
sporty12
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

sporty12: I looked at the eglidegoodies bezel and cradle PDF installation instructions. No pictures for the dumbasses like me LOL. So the description of the cradle on the eglidegoodies website says it is for replacing an existing stock Harley radio and an aftermarket single DIN radio. My bike right now has no radio at all, just the empty opening/recess where the radio would theoretically fit. The PDF instructions make reference to using the existing mounting hardware, but I wonder if my bike has such hardware, since it did not come with a radio. Plus, I'm not sure there is even any wiring harness in there, and if I will have to figure out how to wire it up. And I doubt there are any speakers behind the grill cloths. BTW, thanks for the compliment on the ride.

dhutchison: Sure, I am interested. I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff and can make this work. As you can see, I am without a clue lmoa.
Eyespy,
Mine had no radio either. Like I said, this setup worked great. Contact Derek(dhutchison) to see if he can hook you up better than eglide.

Russ

Old 07-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior

flhtpi04, thanks, that was great infomation. Where is the cigarette lighter outlet on your bike? I'm not aware of one on mine, but maybe there is a wire for it behind the fairing somewhere? Also, can you tell me which is the radio memory wire? I don't have a wiring schematic for the bike, I placed an order a while ago for the service manual, dealer has not gotten it in yet (I did get the police supplement yesterday).

sporty12, it's good to know your bike was without stock radio also and that your set up works well, so it should on mine also. Thanks for that clarification.

I can't thank you all enough for the help! This forum and the helpful folks on it are fantastic!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio/CD/MP3 for a 2000 FLHTPI