Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged clutch hub splines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

my 07 sg does that horrible noise at start up sometimes. sounds like a spring wound tite and then turned lose in a tin can. may spit back through throttle body. alfull sound and any body within 50 ft. can hear it. makes you want to hide.
could that be caused by the compensator also? sorry op just had to ask.
kroozeabout.

The following users liked this post:
5ft2 Giant (10-23-2019)
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by t. sawyer
my 07 sg does that horrible noise at start up sometimes. sounds like a spring wound tite and then turned lose in a tin can. may spit back through throttle body. alfull sound and any body within 50 ft. can hear it. makes you want to hide.
could that be caused by the compensator also? sorry op just had to ask.
kroozeabout.
My 09 was doing this about every 3rd start up, had the starter replaced under warranty and when I picked the bike up they said they replaced the hub while they were in there that was around 14,000 mile mark. Now over 32,000 wonder If I should pull it and check still using stock compensator.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:37 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The hub problem is very common

at least on the 09 twin cams. Mine was falling apart at 40,000 miles when they replaced it. Friggen thing has to be bought with a clutch pac as well. thank gawd for ESP.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Redrider08
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently acquired an 09 dyna fatbob that is a basket case, in the since that the previous owner tore it all down to build a "custom" bike (supposedly it only has 3k miles on it). While inventoring and inspecting the parts, I noticed that my clutch hub looks exactly the same as the picture in the first post of this thread. I am real tempted to put it back together as is... What is the "solution" to this problem. I do not want to buy a new clutch hub only to have it do it again.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Redrider08
6th Gear

ops..double post.

Last edited by Redrider08; 04-08-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: double post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Gaspumpcity
Intermediate

Clutch hub looks like it did not mate to the t/shaft with all those cracks inline on the t/shaft(one reason why it failed) they run all the way down shaft (looking for root cause) shock loaded,incorect metalurgy,primary chain adjustment,to many burnouts in the pit.To find root cause I would look close at the hub to see IF the fracture starts in the hub. The hub has been shock loaded but the t/shaft looks good from pictures however possiable the fatique fracture could of started below the hardcase results of torsional overloading I Dont want to confuse anyone at first glance of these picture.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 08 ultra withe the 103 stage 2 I took it to San Jose Harley a couple of weeks ago for a new stator as the thing was leaking where the wires exit the engine case.
while they were in there they found that the clutch hub looked just like Duracell's the starter clutch was missing a couple of teeth as was the ring gear and the slutch cable was leaking where it exits the transmission. I just bought the bike last August and I got the
E.S.P> for 3 years for 1400 dollars the bill for all the above was a tad over $1800.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

B T W my bike is a Duracell

Old 04-13-2015, 04:57 AM
Harley Matt
1st Gear
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Duracell
So while I'm waiting on parts for my HQ 103 build, I pull my primary to install a SE compensator and a stiffer clutch spring. I see some metallic particles on the clutch hub as I pull everything out. Turns out the splines on the clutch hub are damaged, but only the first 3/8" or so. I bought the bike new and no one's been in the primary except the dealer. They replaced the stator under warranty. The damage appears to have been caused by mis alignment of the clutch during reassembly. Can someone with more experience tell me what else might have caused this kind of damage?
Sorry to open up an old thread but this seems to be the most relevant to my issue.

On Saturday I stripped down my primary etc to replace the drive belt and rear pulley on my FXDF Fat Bob.
All was going perfectly well (which I thought was too go to be true) until it came to the point of putting the clutch basket back onto the shaft.
I noticed there was play in the clutch basket once seated onto the shaft.
I took it back off and found that it looked exactly the same as the picture in the very first post to this thread, you could literally break spline off with your finger.
The play in the clutch due to this has caused scoring on the inner primary casing.
I have noticed in previous replies on here the people were talking of just putting it back on - as is.
In my opinion DO NOT just put it back on, leave the bike in the garage and order a new hub!! Last thing you want is that thing blowing your primary casing apart and locking the back wheel up on a motorway!!!
I have ordered a new clutch hub and will be fitting within the next week or so. I will of course post progress on here.
It seems others have had the same issue with their clutch hubs, the thing that I have seen is that it seems to be mostly dyna models that are having this problem.
Could this just be down to a flaw in the design of the hub?? Its definitely my first and main suspicion!

Old 07-26-2015, 02:57 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Removed my primary today on my '08 FXDC... 60k+ miles, to replace a shorted stator.. Same issue here... first 3/8 to 1/2" of splines in the hub missing, and pieces of them/shavings all over. I've been running the SE Compensator for over 45k miles... I suppose all this could have happened in that first 15k or so... stock comp slapped like a ball peen hammer inside the engine, on startup.

Really temped to go with a Drag Specialties hub, not a HD hub, because they obviously have an issue. Seems to be more widespread than one might realize.

Quick Reply: Damaged clutch hub splines?