Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Wind Deflectors???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:40 AM
justthetip
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Wind Deflectors???

Anyone know if there are wind deflectors out there to cut down on some of the wind that comes up from under the fairing just above your knees on the RG? I was thinking of something similar to the small wind deflectors that they make for the SG. I don't really want to go with the full lowers. I put a 12" KW windshield on my 2010 RG thinking that all the wind noise was coming from the stock small windshield. I was shocked to realize how much wind comes from under the fairing. I don't mind the wind so much, its the NOISE that is annoying at freeway speeds.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Aslan
Road Master

My RG came with a small wind deflector mounted under the forks. I don't know if it does anything because I've never taken it off to find out. Take a look under there. It looks like a small upside down cup. They may still be stock on the 2010. You can buy the same one in the catalog in chrome. I've heard it helps.
I know the type of windshield makes a big difference on the RG and I've read that lowers are the real fix for any air from under the fairing.
If there are any other items out there I haven't heard anout them.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:07 AM
Shed
Advanced

Saw some on eglidegodies.com

Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

The fork defector that aslan is speaking about is a stock item on 2009 road glides & older model years. This really does help out w/ some of the bad wind coming up from underneath the fixed fairing. It does not come stock on the 2010 road glides. However, it will cost you under $20.00 at the dealer. Well worth the very cheap price, choice of chrome or black too.
Lower fairings are the best choice, but are pretty high $$$. Lowers w/ a "perfect" windshield will make the road glide bullet proof!
Good luck.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:35 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

The fork air deflector will do nothing for the high speed air moving around the fairing and hitting you in the knees. I'm looking for something too.
Also, I have the lowers and it blocks some of the air (on the knees) but not all of it. Seems a little well placed lip or flare right on the edge of the fairing would direct it off you.

lp

Old 03-08-2010, 08:48 AM
shredsurf
Road Master

These are my inexpensive solution to ground up wind on the '09 RG.

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/PROD/4420.html

Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 AM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

Can or do you use the DD's in the summer too? If you have the vinyl does the engine heat do anything to them? DD's doesn't have a contact email so ya can't ask em these questions. Thanks

Old 03-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried some soft lowers and they felt like parachutes and (in my head) negated some of the aerodynamic effects of the shark nose. I bit the bullet on some color-matched fairing lowers. They arrive today, but I'm in Austin all week. Have to wait till Friday to try 'em out.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 AM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

So they balloned out and lacked aerodynamics? The HoggChopp's lowers are $375/painted - so it's only $175 more for them.

Last edited by jokenighttrain; 03-08-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Scooter-Dog
Advanced

I know exactly what you're looking for because I went through the same search. Unfortunately nobody makes anything specifically for the Road Glide. Perhaps someday someone will finally figure out a good looking shape for some Lexan and mount it to the crash bar.

The "Air Wings" - like you find on Goldwings - would probably work, but they're VERY ugly:

Hogg Chopps get good reviews and the price is reasonable, but I still think the look is "different".

Ultimately, I saved my pennies and went with the factory H-D lowers. They look great, work great and fit great. Plus the extra storage in the glove boxes is handy. Too bad they're so dang pricey! This is my RG:

Quick Reply: Road Glide Wind Deflectors???