Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring windshield heights.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Measuring windshield heights.

I have heard 2 different stories about how to measure for a new windshield. One is measure the visible part on the front of the windshield above the mounting bolts on the fairing to the top of the windshield or from the top of the inner fairing on the inside to the top of the windshield. Looking a getting a Long Ride X-treme for my SG.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how the manufacturer measures their shields. Most measure the area from the top of the fairing to the top of the shield, but some measure the whole shield. ClearView measures from the top of the fairing when installed as does Long Ride I believe. One advantage to ClearView is they will allow returns on installed shields as long as the protective film isn't removed. Most others will not allow returns on mounted shields.

Just reread and noticed you are looking at the Long Ride X-treme. Clearview unfortunately does not have any equivalent shield, and you can't beat the price for the X-treme when compared to the KlockWerks shield. I have heard good things about Long Ride with the exception of the inability to test ride and return if not happy.

Last edited by Fewe; 03-13-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Reread the original post.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:01 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i know that i got a 10" longride shield, not the new x stream one but the regular one with the flip, and i was amazed with the quality. there was not even the finest scratch on it. the nice thing about the long ride also is the fact that if you do get a small scratch, you can polish it out, unlike some shields that are coated. if you get a paint stirring stick, if that'd be long enough for you to mark it off in 1" increments with a sharpee and tape that to your windshield with the marks facing you, that may give you an indication of how tall you want your shield to be. i've done it, and it works. just don't go too fast and you'll be able to tell where you want the shield so you can look over it.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
XsjadoNightster
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!