Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roadside assistance for motorcycles

Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You already got AAA, cant be that much to add the RV coverage.
Ifin you do, please post up what the cost is.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:02 PM
norskehd
Cruiser

I use Good Sam RV (Affinity Road and Travel Club)for my RV, Car,Truck and Motorcycle. I have used it for flat tire repairs and unfortunately when my 08 Ultra was totaled last May. They paid for the tow to the Towers yard and then to the Harley Dealer - $340.00. I pay $99.00/year for the coverage.

Attached Thumbnails roadside assistance for motorcycles-dsc01406.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

if you have a verizon cell phone, they offer rode side assistance for about 3-4 bucks a month.....they insisted that they take care of bikes.....never needed, thank goodness but I know someone who has.

AAA won't tow bikes in Mass either.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AT&T has it also.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Dirsuper
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I should have thought about this before now, but. I am doing San Diego to San Francisco tomorrow and am wondering who to call if I get a flat, or, whatever. The bike is only 6 months old. I got a free HOG membership because I bought it through military sales. I have Geico on the bikes, USAA on the cars/houses (they no longer do new policies on bikes). I have not set up anything with HOG, so does that mean they will not do anything? Geico comes with some protection, but it is rather limited.

Any input is appreciated. Only as I was packing the saddlebags did I think of this........

Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
dhincc
Road Master

+1 on HOG.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 AM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Can't say enough about HOG! Just got home from a nightmare. Went around a corner and the clutch cable broke at the lever......naturally in a not-so-great part of town. The first thing they asked is if I wanted them to dispatch police. I told them no, but if they could hurry up the tow...it would be GREATLY appreciated! I called a good friend to hang around with me while I was waiting. In about 45 minutes, the truck was there, got me and the bike home without a scratch, and it didn't cost me a dime. Very happy!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAA
Eligible Vehicles

Service applies to all properly licensed four-wheeled motor vehicles of the passenger, pleasure or recreational type (vans, campers and motor homes) regardless of license plate designation--if those services can be safely delivered. Dual-wheeled campers/motor homes are eligible for all services except towing, extrication/winching and tire service. Dual-wheeled unloaded pickup trucks are eligible for all services. Rented passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles are eligible for service, with the exception of limousines. AAA Plus/RV and AAA Premier/RV members receive extended vehicle coverage for all services to include motorcycles, all motor homes, pickup trucks with campers and travel trailers.
Differnece between Plus RV ($88) and Premier ($115) both allow up to 4 free tows per year but Premier allows one up to 200 miles the others limit it to 100 miles.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:37 AM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dirsuper
I know I should have thought about this before now, but. I am doing San Diego to San Francisco tomorrow and am wondering who to call if I get a flat, or, whatever. The bike is only 6 months old. I got a free HOG membership because I bought it through military sales. I have Geico on the bikes, USAA on the cars/houses (they no longer do new policies on bikes). I have not set up anything with HOG, so does that mean they will not do anything? Geico comes with some protection, but it is rather limited.

Any input is appreciated. Only as I was packing the saddlebags did I think of this........
Since this was posted yesterday you may already be on the road. Only thing you need to do for HOG roadside is call the number on the back of your HOG card. They'll transfer you to the roadside vendor. Be aware that the basic coverage covers $100 bucks worth of towing. If the bill exceeds that it's out of your pocket.

TL

Old 03-20-2010, 11:02 AM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Here's some nuggets I've found about Roadside Assistance over the last 12 years:

HOG Roadside Assistance is provided by Roadside America. Call HOG or RA direct and the basic coverage is good for 100 bucks worth of a tow. Anything over that is on you.

I've had both good and bad experiences... broiling in the sun on the side of an Interstate I talked to Habib somewhere in India and he wasn't having much luck finding my location although I provided the Interstate, mile marker, lane and closest town and exit. I got disconnected numerous times. I was told I'd receive a callback with an ETA and never got one. 3 hours later someone shows up that was based 3 miles away. Duh.

I used 'em again near a decent sized burg that should've had plenty of service providers. The flatbed was dispatched from some crossroads burg 50 miles away. I asked for a callback with the service providers name and a direct contact number.. never got it. You find out someone's actually coming when they show up, or don't.

Progressive's RA coverage used to be included in the policy for H-Ds. A year or so ago they started charging 8 bucks. The vender is Cross Country Automotive Services in Medford, MA. On the occasion I used it I called the RA number and was connected directly to the vender who answered any questions I had in English I could understand. Well, except for that Boston accent which is kinda like English. I had boogered something up in the ignition switch and was in my garage and needed hauled to the dealer to fix my screwup. I asked about the actual service providers, whether they dispatch from a provider list or whether they go for the closest H-D dealer first. I've got 2 dealers within 12 miles so that appeared to be the smartest option. They told me they dispatch from a computerized list of providers that handles auto or MC calls. I asked about reimburement if I arranged my own tow... they said no problem. For future reference I also asked about the policy terminology that stated a tow would be to the closest place "authorized" repairs could be made. I asked specifically if that meant the closest H-D dealership regardless of how far away. The response was "yes". I sent in the bill for the tow and had full reimbursement within 3 weeks, no muss, no fuss.

While the Progressive service sounds pretty good someone else I know had a shitty experience. Stuck in BFE with a dead battery late at night she called and waited. Called back an hour later and the same rep sez he's having a hard time finding anyone to come out at that time of night. Waited and waited and called back again. A different rep said there was a shift change and their was no record of the previous ***** ever handling the call. Ended up hitching a ride home and arranging a tow the next day. After pitching a bitch with Progressive they reimbursed the tow and refunded the price for that year's RA charge and included it for free on the next year's renewal. That's something but not much consolation when you're stuck in BFE and nobody shows up.

AAA RV coverage isn't available in all States. The biggest raves I've heard have been for Good Sam's RV coverage. Huge network and they'll haul you as far as they have to to get to the nearest H-D dealership regardless of you're on the AlCan and the closest dealer is Whitehorse in the Yukon.

My take is if you're going to ride cross-country and find yourself in remote locations some redundancy is a good thing. The Progressive coverage is only 8 bucks a year and the HOG basic is a freebie. No real hearttburn paying for redundant coverage. If I were headed for Alaska I think I'd probably pony up whatever it costs for the Good Sam plan. YMMV.

TL

Last edited by tlmitchell; 03-20-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: roadside assistance for motorcycles