Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a 7 pin Intercom Headset

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM
dtgiese
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeRun
This looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I just bought a Nolan N90 full face for winter/foul weather riding. It would cost an additional $175+ in Nolan NCom parts to get full functionality with the Ultra's intercom/cb etc. With this set-up I could use it both with the full face and my half helmet. Has anyone here used this set-up in a full face? Wondering if the ear buds stick out too far for a full face.
If your thinking of the .Audio 480 headset it will definitely work with a full face helmet, it does take some practice and adjustment of the headset after putting on your helmet but once there it stays there. + Great sound!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can buy what you are looking for from "Cycle Gadgets". http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HA is exactly what I believe you are looking for. I believe they can be used with or without a mic.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM
tvmoto
Stage I

For what it's worth, I have used many intercoms over the last 15 years and the best one by far has been Autocom. I had one of their old units for about 8 years and it finally had to be retired. I got one of the new Autocom Logic units from "https://autocomdirect.com/". Brian Mcguire is great!, the Logic is not cheep (but neither was your bike!) at $350 plus another $75 if you need a passenger headset. The sound is fantastic with it's noise canceling mic. I have mine interfaced with my Garmin Zumo 650 which uses Bluetooth to my phone. I can make and receive calls while riding and the person on the other end has no idea that I'm cruising along the highway! I even have my ipod hooked into it.
I use my intercom about 20,000 miles a year and tried using earbuds last year, and after 650 miles I had to stop and take them out! Just couldn't handle something in my ear any more and I finished the last 100 miles listening to the wind.
I don't work for Autocom, but I can truthfully say it is the best I've found and I have several hundred dollars worth of ones that didn't meet my standards, it is worth spending the money to get a quality product that works (isn't that why you have the bike you do!). Their phone number is 866-951-5550

Last edited by tvmoto; 03-23-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Hamarhu
Stage II

dtgiese - Thanks for all the great information. I made an forum account just to thank you!

I live in portugal, but I asked a brother who lives in Canada to make a purchase from you in ebay, and then he will send it to me “as offer” so I don’t have to pay the double or triple in custom taxes.
Just wanted to show my support, for all the great info and trouble of putting this in the “interwebs”

Meanwhile wanted to share this information with all of you.

I will make an adapter of my own (this weekend), and will use 2 extension 3.5 cables, just can’t wait for your adapters to arrive by mail, so I will make one.

What I made so far?

I picked up a Microsoft LX 3000 headset, disassemble it, soldered to two 3.5m jacks (one mic other speakers). Picked my girl friend BuiltWell helmet and adapted to it, the sound quality is Great (didn't tried the mic yet due to the lack of the adapter, will tested and put on the results later), fits great in the helmet. Just One problem, for gentleman with big heads like mine, it can be a little tight, but for her is great and with great comfort in usage.

Bellow a Link (never mind the writing in portuguese, the pictures are self explanatory)

Builtwell Helmet Custom built Headset from a MS LX 3000 headset.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/581731/helmet_lx3000/lx2000_helmet_headset.html

Great curves to all
Hamarhu