Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Tire Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Jed jr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an early 09 FLHX with only 5500 miles on it and I just went to the dealers last week about the front tire. I told them the bike was "twitchy" in the corners. He asked the year and thought a minute. "Bring it in next week". I think I've got a good dealer this time. I had a copy of the service bulletin for back-up but didn't need it. This is after my 5000 mile service last fall so the problem has been there for a while. They're going to do the tank re-call while they have it.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Nakkedbiker
Advanced

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
Same here, I had a low speed wobble and the replacement front tire cured it. No grief from the dealer at all. I have another problem I can't get them to address, but the tire thing was no problem for them.
One of the Dealers in San Antonio, Replaced mine just before our Retirement Ride, No problems no grief Just smiles as the MOCO will pay them.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default My 09 Ultra

Took my UC in for the tank recall and told the dealer to look at my front brake rotor or front tire because my brakes pulsated when braking. They replaced the front tire with 4500 miles on the odometer and I have to admit, it does ride smoother than when i took it in. I had, I guess become accustomed to the ride as it changes so slowly but once that new tire was put on, I felt the difference. No charge.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
NYTSTR
Advanced

I too like many others learned about this tire issue right here on the forum. At first I thought that it was "just the roads" here, but after reading more about this I found a newly paved section of road and decided to do a little testing, sure enough it was the tire and yep it is cupping. So went back on the forum found the link to the "original" service bulliten (M-125A / dated 4 Nov 09) printed it out a read it. I too was a little put off by the fact that they stated that a letter would be set to affected owners. Well I am one of the many owners that did not receive a letter. Had I received a letter I would have had my bike in 2K miles ago. To make a long story short I called HD Customer Service, they gave me a reference number and said if I have any problems at the dealer to have them call them. My bike is going in on the 15th for the tank (did get the letter on that) and the tire. I currently have 7800 on the 09 SG.

NYTSTR

Old 04-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I heard about the problem here too. At first, I though maybe some of these guys were not keeping track of tire pressures or something. Running the front tire under inflated can cause cupping problem and besides, many of them were reporting problems with 5k miles on the tire and I had 10k+ on mine with no obvious problems.

Then I started noticing at around 12k miles, a tire whine showing up while riding down the road at speed and it got worse over time. It was caused by the cupping issues. I milked the tire to 14.5k miles and finally took it in to get replaced. I really didn't expect the Harley to cover the tire due to the miles that were on it but the dealer looked at it and said it would be covered. I'm thrilled to death to get over 14k miles out of a tire when everything wears normally but to essentially get the use of the tire and then get the next one for free.........works for me!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting my front tire replaced next week with the 10,000 mile service. I know some people complain about their local dealer, but I have no issues with mine...

Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
apolo07
Intermediate

Had my front tire replaced free of charge on my 09 RKC. Tire had less than 1000 miles on it. It was making the front end have a bad woble at about 40 mph. No visible defects on the tire. It now has a 408F on it and no problems.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My '09 Ultra Classic front tire was discovered to be mounted backwards and replaced at the 1000 mile service.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
The service manager is supposed to call me later after he looks over the bulletin. Apparently I am the very first person that has complained about this tire to the dealership.
Well shut my mouth! The service manager actually called and guess who has a brand new D408f front tire? No charge, no questions asked. Even let me come in Friday evening (with no appointment) rather than jumping in line on Saturday morning with all the other poor souls looking to get their bikes worked on. It was all very mysterious .... I don't think I've EVER seen a service department falling all over themselves making sure I was taken care of like that. I thought I'd seen everything but this really takes the cake! Kinda makes me wonder just exactly what is wrong with the D407f's.....

Old 04-10-2010, 12:03 AM
jagerbomb
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my 2009 SG in and complained of a wobble. The service manager told me I had 38psi in the front tire and that they had checked everything out and it was ok. I asked about the uneven wear on the front tire and if he had ridden it. He said it was fine and they would recheck it when THEY did the 10,000 mile service. They also asked repeatedly if I'd had the 5000 mile service completed. The also alluded that I could void my warranty by not having the sevices completed by them. I called the MOCO and all of the sudden "we'll get that tire problem handled this afternoon". When Ii went in to pick it up I was told how lucky I was that the service manger had talked MOCO into replacing the tire. Felt like I was getting the biggest stroke in my life. I won't be buying my next bike from these guys.

Quick Reply: Touring Tire Issues