Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on replacing cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on replacing cracked windshield

My 02 RKC has a windshield that measures 19 3/4" from the headlight opening to the top of it. It's cracked and I need a new one. There are a number of windshields available. Harley and aftermarket. I find myself tiliting my head up to look over the current WS and I think that is causing some of my upper back discomfort. Question. I see 17" WS's for sale and wonder if that would be a good height. I'm 5'10". I also have to have wind protection for my wife when she rides with me. Opinions please.
Gary

Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Default RE: Need help on replacing cracked windshield

I have always preferred to look through rather than over. That means I have to lay back more that usual. Good thing Michelle rides with me most of the time. Personally, I'd go with the taller shield, but that's just my HO.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:20 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sit on your Bike and look strait ahead and then mark it with a pice of tape where you think you would like it.That should be the correct height .That's what I did before I cut down my windshield now it's perfect. But everyone has their own preference. Maybe try finding a used one for sale and then you could cut it down your self, it's very easy. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:41 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It's mostly personal preference: Look thru or look over. But in the front of the HD parts catalogue it suggests that you select a WS that you look over. That is my preference. I hate looking thru the WS, too much distortion for me and I have no problem with wind. I also have the CeeBailey contour WS. Try cutting down your damaged WS a little at a time to find you perfect height if you are able to do so.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Big Cholla
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Memphis Shades has a replacement shield for RKC's. It is thicker (better) than the original H-D shield. It is available with the lower 1/4 tinted in a selection of colors. I replaced the H-D 20 inch shield on my '05 RKClassic with a 18 inch from Memphis Shades. I am 5'11" and sit on a Sundowner seat. The new MS is perfect! Most opinion is that the shield should top out at about 1 inch below your line-of-sight. I wear a full faced helmet and at 75 mph start to catch just a slight rumble at the top of my helmet from the passing wind stream when there is no apparent headwind blowing. My wife's head is slightly lower than mine and she is not bothered by any wind rumble.

The Memphis Shades replacement shield comes with complete mounting directions. I found that the original shield is sticky-taped to the aluminum mounting straps. They are relatively easy to bend if one uses any real force to pull them off. I heated the original setup in the afternoon sun for about one hour. I then used a stiff piece of plastic that I sanded into a wedge shape to part the old shield from the mounting straps. Worked very well. Took about 45 minutes from start to finish. Follow the instructions for remounting and everything falls into place. ............... BC

Old 08-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd reccommend staying away from the flat aftermarket shields. The aftermarket shorty shield I just replaced had 5 cracks under the hardware in just a couple of years of occasional use. It's pretty spooky thinking I was close to having a chunk of jagged plastic flying in my face at highway speeds.

The HD shields are pre-curved and better quality.

At 6'1" riding a Corbin Classic solo (about 1-1/2" shorter than a HD Sundowner), with the 4" shorter shield I get a clear sightline, wind in the face but not in the chest & no complaints from passengers. Swapping over to the standard height shield the top edge intrudes in my sightline a bit but I can hear tunes in my earbuds without them blowing out.

Your RKC originally had the 2" shorter shield (if memory serves, your measurement confirms this) so I'd suggest going with the HD 4" shorter shield so you won't be "prarie *******" over the top edge.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys are great

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net

Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 AM
harris48cars
Road Master

Does anyone know the height of Harley's middle windshield. In the HD catolog they talk about 2 and4" lower and higher but that doesn't tell me anything. I need to know the actual height of the shield.
Gary