Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop Bike-Saddle Bag Hockey Pucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Cindy Jones
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cop Bike-Saddle Bag Hockey Pucks

I have a 2006 Electra Glide Cop Bike. I love the bike, but the saddle bags have these hockey puck looking handles on them. I am hoping some one might let me know if there any options of replacing the hockey pucks. Can't really afford to replace the bags or lids! Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:24 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Check out eglidegoodies.com...they have push button latches to replace the pucks.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 AM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey, whats wrong with Hockey Pucks? Go Black Hawks!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Cindy Jones
Stage II

thanks big Al....appreciate it! Nothing wrong with hockey pucks if playing Hockey.....looks kinda silly on a mcycle though!!

Old 05-29-2010, 10:01 AM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cindy Jones
thanks big Al....appreciate it! Nothing wrong with hockey pucks if playing Hockey.....looks kinda silly on a mcycle though!!
My pleasure..here's a link: http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id198.html

Old 05-29-2010, 01:40 PM
reese
Cruiser

I've seen people screw timing covers on the top of the "pucks", really makes a difference in the appearance.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:19 PM
tedcmiller (Cry Baby)
Banned

The "hockey pucks" were put on the police bikes so that the bags could easily be opened by the rider (LOE in this case) while still seated on the bike. If you have no need to do this or don't want to, then by all means get rid of the "hockey pucks."

Old 05-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

There's several types of "push button" type latches that can be installed in place of the hockey pucks. None of them are particularly stout, but there's a couple of them that work ok. (check squadfitters).

I just replaced my bags with civilian bags. Alternatively, you could just buy civilian lids and hardware and bolt them on your police lower bags, but you'll be filling some holes where the old hinges and lock were.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There are covers for the hockey pucks and replacement pushbutton latches. The replacement pushbutton latches usually require relocating the bracket in the saddlebag bottom lower to accommodate the greater depth of the pawl/latch and some may require the hole in the lid to be enlarged.

There are a number of vendors: squadfitters.com and californiacustom parts (on ebay). If you are considering pushbutton latches, ask the vendor for installation instructions before you buy so that you know what's involved with installing their product.

Calfiforniacustomparts has a nice feature: a bracket to protect the bottom of the latch mechanism from damage due to compressing the bottom of the latch against the saddlebag contents.

A good buddy used the squadfitters latch and had problems with the latch releasing from the bracket while riding. Apparently this is a common problem with that latch as others have reported the same issue. It's likely related to the bracket's location relative to the pawl/latch not being low enough to provide sufficient tension on the pawl/latch and/or the bracket not capturing enough of the pawl/latch.

I used Southco M1-2A-13-1 (IIRC) on my police bags for 4+ years without any problems, but my installation assured the latch barrel wouldn't hit the bracket, and the bags' contents wouldn't compress the bottom of the latch. This latch did require the hole in the lid to be increased from 1" dia. to 1.25" dia.

Another Southco latch that will work w/o drilling the lid is MP-05-312-11. You can view the latches at Southco's website.

Both Soutcho latches required the bracket to be mounted lower in the saddlebag--easy to do.

Good luck with your research.

Carl

Old 05-30-2010, 07:48 PM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dig the pucks. Sure, they're fugly, but hell for stout and will NOT open up until you want them to.

Dressing them up...paint, chrome, or as already mentioned, attach a nifty timing cover, would reduce the fugly factor.

Quick Reply: Cop Bike-Saddle Bag Hockey Pucks