Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cranks but no Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 AM
mrbadlands
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cranks but no Start

I am not sure where to begin. I have been reading thread after thread concerning battery issues. I hope this proves out to be a battery issue as well. And my battery is a OEM HD Battery, not an interstate battery lol

I have been noticing that when the bike is warm I get the starter kickback from time to time. After reading a thread here about hitting the starter button without letting the fuel pump do it's thing seemed to work ok. The starter sort of seemed like it was not as fast as it once was, but not really all that slow.

Now fast forward to today. I went to visit one friend about a 50 mile ride. I was there a while so no issues starting. I left there and was headed to another friends place when I realized I had not called him to let him know when I would be there. I pulled over shut the bike off, and made the call. On the restart about 3 minutes later, I hit the run button and right afterwards hit the starter button. The starter kickback issue happened. And then I tried hitting the starter button again and it would crank over, but no start.

Long story short I let it sit and rest and made a few more start attempts with more time "resting" between each attempt. No joy!!!! I called a bud and got the trailer out there. Got it home and put the charger on the battery. Charger indicated the battery was severely drained, so I run the charger on high setting (6 AMPS) for about 1/2 hour. Then switched over to trickle charge for probably 3 or 4 hours. I made a start attempt and the starter now seems obviously slower than normal.

I did install a K&N air filter earlier in the day before leaving home. I don't have a DVOM here with me but I will buy one if I need too. I did confirm I have spark. I do hear the fuel pump running, but have not confirmed fuel pressure. I checked over the trouble tree following the "crank but no start" issues. I am down to checking the battery which I will take to an auto parts store tomorrow and get the battery load tested.

I really don't expect someone to automatically know what it wrong, but if anyone reads all the way through to here and thinks of something I might look at, I would greatly appreciate a response.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a connection issue at the battery or the ground strap to frame. Clean and re-install.

The kick back issue is something different.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd check for codes. While holding in your odometer button, turn the ignition switch "on". After the speedo needle sweeps, and all your speedo lights go out, you'll be in diag mode. Step your way thru the [4? 5?] module letters by one short push on the odometer button. At each "module" (indicated by flashing letter on odometer LCD), hold the odometer button in for about 5 seconds, and it will display any error codes you may have. If I remember, a single push will step thru multiple error codes, and a 5-sec push will clear an error code. Write down any codes you show. When no [more] codes are present, another short button push will display the p/n of the module under test. A list of '07 codes can be found here using a search on "07 diagnostic codes" or something close. Good luck.

Oh yeah; when all done chasing codes, just turn the ignition switch "off" to exit diag mode.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:47 AM
RYEDOGGRACING
Cruiser

Crank position sensor might be bad.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is how mine acted and it turned out to be the starter clutch going bad.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
mrbadlands
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
I'd check for codes.
Oh yeah; when all done chasing codes, just turn the ignition switch "off" to exit diag mode.
Thanks! I forgot to mention in that long winded description I gave that I checked for codes. all was clear showing "none" except for the "T" which had a "No RSV" which the Elec. Diagnostics Manual said was normal for a bike with no Tachometer.

I am about to go out and check all the battery connections and pull the battery and go get it load tested.

Thanks for all the assistance so far

Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have confirmed spark then I would think it would be gas. Check and clean your gas filter and maybe try some different gas or put some seafoam in the tank and try it again. I doubt it's a battery problem but you never know. Also check your plugs and plug wires are tight from coil to plug. I will be curious to see what it is.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like either battery or battery cables. Check your positive and negative connections and have your battery load tested. Those are the first 2 things to check.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read on this fourm that there is a tech notice about some 07's starter bolts not tighten correctly. Worth checking out as the ground strap is attached to one.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
mrbadlands
Cruiser

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

I am still in this looking for a solution.

I did have the battery load tested at the Indy close to me. He says the battery is in good shape. I asked and he said it is not even close to marginal. During discussion with him, the Crank Sensor came up again, so I went and picked up one.

The Battery was load tested.
ALL wiring from the battery was inspected cleaned and confirmed tight on reassembly
Replaced Crank Position Sensor
Replaced both Spark Plugs while I was there
Both ends of each plug wire are confirmed to be in place properly
Still getting spark
Fuel Pump runs as it should for a short time when run switch is turned on
I still am not getting any codes
I am wondering if I need to confirm issue might be fuel related not sure of a quick way though.
Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Engine Cranks but no Start