Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Limited - Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rvtlimited
Just took my 2010 Limited in for 5,000 miles service and had the dealer activate the EITMS. Going home, i was at highway speeds for about 7 miles and then hit two (just regular) stop lights. At the second stoplight, the EITMS kicked in and cut the fuel off to the rear cylinder. Air temperature was 90 degrees or less and the bike is stock except for slip on SE mufflers.

I am concerned the bike will really heat up when the air temperatures get into the high 90's or hotter.

Has anyone with a 2010 limited (or any other 2010 touring model) experienced the rear cylinder shutting down so easily?

I could understand it if I had been in stop and go traffic
Not once with my 2010 Ultra.Check your tune.I would tune it even with stock pipes or with the slip on mufflers you have.Your leaning it out even more.You need a dyno tune & a tuning device!!! Im running more compression then most ,& im still not overheating!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Not once with my 2010 Ultra.Check your tune.I would tune it even with stock pipes or with the slip on mufflers you have.Your leaning it out even more.You need a dyno tune & a tuning device!!! Im running more compression then most ,& im still not overheating!!!
Yes, but you don't ride in the heat Craig.

Mine comes on every once in a blue moon when I'm stuck in traffic. It's a good thing, and it's what the bike is supposed to do. Don't worry about it and ride.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
07fsxt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
2black1s - I'm retired so I can go anytime. If you want to follow me next season to Death Valley say July or Aug. You can see for your self. Since your such a doubter.

From my house in Illinois to Winnipeg Canada it never was under 50 mpg. My son rode his 06 Street Bob and we had identical fill ups and on occasion I was a tenth less than his. The average was for the 3,000 mile trip.

On our PCH trip my mileage ran from 42 to 60 for 6,000 miles. That trip average 50 mpg.

Two things to keep in mind the cooler the motor runs the more efficient it is in terms of power and mileage. A cooler charge expands more and that is what propels the bike. Lower octane burns more than higher octane. No gas burns completely before it goes out the exhaust but the lower the octane the more it burns. Why do you think that they have 85 octane in the mountains?

The oil cooler, 12.1 to 1 AFR AND 87 octane gas yields those results on my 10 Ultra with 18,000 miles on it.

Oh, and I know how to activate the system and leave it activated.

My son was so impressed that he bought an Ultra when we got back from the last trip. His Street Bob is sitting neglected in my garage since. He hasn't bothered to come back from Chicago to pick it up.

I’m still trying to get my thick head around this. What you say does sound logical. Could you please explain what you mean by “No gas burns completely before it goes out the exhaust” or is that a type o? Do you have any pinging?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM
07fsxt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never mind, I got it. There isn't a gasoline made that burns completely. Hello, anybody home up there.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Internal combustion engines with fuel injection are pretty efficient. I have read that two spark plugs per cylinder improves milage, but is this cost effective? Cam overlap could affect milage. I still don't know how to tell if the oil cooler is circulating oil. My riding style dictates that I get a little less than 40mph and that may be generous. Paid in excess of $5/gallon in Death Valley last week. I don't think that the original post is over heating because of a lean tune. Probably out of calibration on the temperature sensor or receiver. This is the head temperature is it not?

Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Installed a Lenale engine fan early this summer. when I come to slow area or a stop, I turn it on. Hooked up to the aux switch. As of now...the rear cylinder cut out has not happened as long as I have remembered to turn on the fan. And also....get rid of the cat and do some sort of fuel management system.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
2black1s - I'm retired so I can go anytime. If you want to follow me next season to Death Valley say July or Aug. You can see for your self. Since your such a doubter.

From my house in Illinois to Winnipeg Canada it never was under 50 mpg. My son rode his 06 Street Bob and we had identical fill ups and on occasion I was a tenth less than his. The average was for the 3,000 mile trip.

On our PCH trip my mileage ran from 42 to 60 for 6,000 miles. That trip average 50 mpg.

Two things to keep in mind the cooler the motor runs the more efficient it is in terms of power and mileage. A cooler charge expands more and that is what propels the bike. Lower octane burns more than higher octane. No gas burns completely before it goes out the exhaust but the lower the octane the more it burns. Why do you think that they have 85 octane in the mountains?

The oil cooler, 12.1 to 1 AFR AND 87 octane gas yields those results on my 10 Ultra with 18,000 miles on it.

Oh, and I know how to activate the system and leave it activated.

My son was so impressed that he bought an Ultra when we got back from the last trip. His Street Bob is sitting neglected in my garage since. He hasn't bothered to come back from Chicago to pick it up.
I'd like to take you up on that. I typically head east to Ohio in July or August but if our schedules allow it would be an interesting ride, and experiment.

Here's my proposition:

Let me know as the time approaches and we'll see if our schedules can be synched up. Then if it's a go I'll even invite you to stay at my place. We can leave my place, fill-up with gas, and be in or near Death Valley in about three hours. We'll travel at approx 8-10 MPH over the speed limit and do a round trip. If you get 50 MPG or better you win and I'll buy you dinner. 49.999 MPG or less, I win and you buy me dinner.

Same bet for the EITMS. We'll stop somewhere along the way where the temperature is 100 deg or higher. When we stop you'll let your bike idle for 10 minutes or until the EITMS kicks-in, whichever comes first. If the EITMS doesn't kick in, you win. If it does, I win. This bet is assuming the EITMS is operational and working correctly, i.e., kicks in at 287 deg cylinder head temp when the bike is idling at less than 1200 RPM and is standing still.

What do you think?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 09rkpolice
When the EITMS cuts off a cylinder automatically when hot does the green cruise control light flash?

When I do it manually I do see the green light slash and when I shut it off it flashes the cruise control red.
Green cruise light will not flash when EITMS cuts off rear cyclinder.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

07fsxt - No gas burns 100 % during the combustion process. Many reason cylinder head design, flame propagation, valve overlap and octane.

The higher the octane the harder to ignite. Recently on a cable show(it might have been two guys garage) they were building and dynoing a huge V8. The set up had an infrared camera looking at one of the cylinders. The operator pointed out pockets of unburned fuel which showed up in a darker color.

Engines like the Dodge Hemi, the Honda VTX1800 to start the flame at two locations to get more fuel burned.

The lower the octane the easier to ignite. That is why at elevations like Denver there is 25% less air so the engine compression is 25 % less. When there is less compression lower octane will burn better than 93 octane. So a 80 HP TC96 in Denver is only making about 60 hp on 93 but with better burning of the 85 octane available there, it will run better.

2black1s - I am headed to Ohio next summer then up into Canada and across to Maine back down and zigzag through as many of the eastern states as I can to fill up my visited states map.

My one qualification. I rarely go over the limit. When alone or I'm leading never. When one of my sons in leading maybe five over but never 10 over.

I tried for decades to teach them what those white signs with black numbers meant but I failed.