Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding after back surgery

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
rwhite15
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding after back surgery

it has been 16 days since i had back surgery [ i had 2 fusions in lower back ]i finally got on my 07 ultra and rode around a little while, i think it was some good med's ,felt good to ride again. may not do long ride for a while but i was born to ride and hope i never get where i can't ride.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
leonm47
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck glad to see you back in the saddle. Take it slow and if you need a pain reliever Jack Daniels Green is the best pain medication I know. God's speed and please be careful.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

Had Neck Fusion in March on neck C4-5-6-7 , I have just been riding and it seems OK?? Have not hit bumps or other but I can tell it may hurt alot if I do . Good Luck with yours.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I feel for you bro. I've had one lower back operation, and two in my neck. The last neck operation was to fix the botched first one. I had a C5-6 fusion, but need the adjacent ones now. Putting it off as long as possible, though.

Take it slow (like I need to remind you of that, lol). You might be pushing it a bit, after just 2 weeks. Trust me, you don't want to have to face another surgery to fix one that you've already had.

I do know what you mean by born to ride. I could no sooner give up riding than I could give up eating or sleeping. Take it easy now and you'll be back in the wind sooner than you know it.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You'd better be careful there, did your doctor okay you to ride this soon?

Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

L5 operation here in 1994. Don't rush it. Give it time to heal. You won't regret it.

I never ride without a windshield, and a back rest is invaluable.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Couple of things that should help. Strengthen core muscles that support your back with exercise program prescribed by physiotherapist.

Since my back problems began I find I can no longer ride comfortably for long periods in the typical cruiser position with bolt upright body posture and feet forward. It puts too much compression on my back especially with bumps. I find the XR1200 is more comfortable with the pegs beneath the seat and very slight forward lean. With bumps I flex at the waist instead of having my spine absorb them and can put some weight on my legs with the pegs below me instead of ahead.

Last edited by fat_tony; 10-20-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

C5-C6 Discectomy in 2000. Recent back pain drove me back to Dr.
Lumbar Stenosis, and stress fractures in my vertabrae.
Just switched from a Fatboy to a Road King Classic. The ride difference makes my back happy. I could also afford to lose about 15 lbs. (summer beer weight)

Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 PM
SFDemo
2nd Gear

I rode a Heritage most of last summer (before the roads got potholes) and decided I couldn't hang like that anymore. The Road King is like riding a couch comparatively.

(Broke back in parachute jump, 5 fused vertabrae)

SFDemo
It's not the ride that gets you, it's the sudden stop at the end!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:16 AM
JoeN
Tourer

best of luck 2 u

had l5-s1 laminectomy with nerve root dissecton in 2000,
had cervical fusions in 2009, forgot what level, cadavar bones, plates and screws, all disks in back are herniated and degraded. I ride an ultra with a back rest, so I don't slide off, and it holds me up. The cruise is good for when my hand falls asleep and looses strength, and I also use a cramp buster for around town when I cant hold onto the handle bars. I can't ride any distance, but the little I do helps my mental health. I sit here wearing a tens unit. My legs and arms are weak still. I live on morphine and vicodan and other Rx for nerve damage. I had a road king, but I coulkdn't stay in the saddle, so I upgraded to the ultra for better aerodynamics

I never wish this on anyone. I hope all works out. Welcome to the club of life sux

Quick Reply: riding after back surgery