Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

outer cam bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:13 PM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outer cam bearings

I've got my cams, lifters, rods etc with 2 torrington bearings for the inner cam plate update, georges tools. Probably a stupid question here but whats the story with the outer cam bearings, wouldnt I need 4 bearings? Wouldnt the outer also need replacing even if just for the wear created by the OEM cams. I know it will all make sense when I open up the cam chest, but I just want to make sure I have everything before diving in and havnt read anything about the outer bearings needing replacement.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

For your 09? No bearings

Old 10-31-2010, 04:25 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

What he means is no bearings in there. Not sure if in fact they should be , but they aren't.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:25 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

Im doing the same soon,been collecting my parts all summer.

I think the outer ones are permanent type.no one ever talks about them much.

Im throwing in a new oil spring(baisley)+new pin, for good luck.??

Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

The moco refers to them as "parent material bearings". The plate is machined so that the plate is it's own bearing.

Scary but works.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default oil pressurized

the outer cam bearing is like your car cranks shaft bearings , the oil pump pressurizes the hole the bearing is in, so the bearing centers and is lubed at the same time

Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 AM
bikehe
Tourer

Thanks for the info. Voodoodrug did you also get the oil pump bypass valve from baisley. The OEM ones are known for bypassing when seated.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

well its the spring that goes in the cam plate,Read a bit about replaceing it while your there. It comes out after you knock a small pin out(should replace pin with new per manuel).

useing the baisley spring with 15% more springgy,Only lantus HD I beleive carries it.

Bypass valve..humm wish I knew more ,is that the small cup thing the spring rests in??

when i breakin to it in a few weeks im going to re-read the small details as I go and maybe now take a look-see at baisleys web page,thanks for the info.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a parts manual for that bike! I'm not sure, but I think the 'parent material' is the rightside engine case. You will have to refere to the service and parts manuals to be sure. I understand the engine case doesn't have enough 'material' to even allow one to install bearings by machining for them. When I saw that in AIM, I was pissed that HD would build them as to be disposable! This is the future of the MOCO.
As to the cam support plate, I think you can replace that if it is also a 'parent material' item. One might be able to replace the right side case with an aftermarket one, but I don't have that experiance under my belt.
The cams would have to go too.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Krutch
Get a parts manual for that bike! I'm not sure, but I think the 'parent material' is the rightside engine case. You will have to refere to the service and parts manuals to be sure. I understand the engine case doesn't have enough 'material' to even allow one to install bearings by machining for them. When I saw that in AIM, I was pissed that HD would build them as to be disposable! This is the future of the MOCO.
As to the cam support plate, I think you can replace that if it is also a 'parent material' item. One might be able to replace the right side case with an aftermarket one, but I don't have that experiance under my belt.
The cams would have to go too.
The outer cam "parent metal" bearinig is indeed the cam plate.
If you've ever changed the TC 88 cams, you will LOVE the easier ways of changing cams on the 96. No more need for press work.

As far as baisley spring, those worked great on the TC 88, but I would not install one on the newer style pumps. They already pump better than the old pumps, but they also are prone to sumping (to a small degree).
Adding a spring might increase the sumping. I did not put one on my 08 because of that. It's overkill anyway. They already pump well.