Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Bleed Down...What exactly is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 PM
96inchBOB
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start up clatter is lifters and pinging could be a lean problem or a timing problem or low quality fuel. If you want to fix the lifters I would suggest using crower,lanati,comp cams. Every one of these company's I spoke about us a USA lifter company. The company's that sell so called motor cycle lifters do not make their own lifter they have them made buy one of the few company's that make lifters including import company's and charge way to much for what you get. These harley lifters were not made just for a harley engine they have been made for a long time for the auto industry and harley designed there engine to use these lifters. The twinkly lifter are no more thane a small block LS1 factory hyd. Roller lifter. If the company's I listed can sell lifters that run in 750 to 900 hp motors and turn the in the upper 7000rpm range they are way more than a low rpm low power harley motor will need. Just contact one of these company's and tell them you need the best replacement lifter that make for a LS1 small block chevy and it will be under $20.00 each for the best one with the oil feed to the roller from Crower to one that is as good if not better than any so called motor cycle lifter maker for around $13.00. Call them cycle lifter people and ask them if they make their lifters in house and see what they tell you. I done did this and already no the answer. The company's I mentioned don't make theirs either but will tell you who and if they are USA made. I think they are only like 2 maybe 3 lifter making company's in the US and I don know how many import lifter company's they are because I don't want them.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:06 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
How much?
Not exactly sure, I used 8oz in a 350 chevy, maybe 2 oz or so would be enough, but make sure to dump the oil after 50 miles or so.
if your engine is gunked up, you will see it in the oil for sure.
Similar to what they did in the old days using kerosene instead of seafoam.
They also make a spray that you can spray directly into the intake, but in my case adding it to the oil work great.

This is what I used

Amazon.com: Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up: Automotive Amazon.com: Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up: Automotive

Last edited by Ragtop; 08-12-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:21 PM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

FWIW....My Harley manual calls for 50w oil at 70 deg. and above. Use it on my '10 RK, no more lifter noise.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:35 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Ragtop
run some seafoam in the oil. I had a chevy van that had a slow lifter in it.
It always clacked loudly at startup, and some times even got loud during regular driving. I though my engine was toast.
It would take 5 minutes for it to quiet down at startup, it was this way for over a year,
always loud at startup. I dumped 1/2 can in the oil, and on the first start it started to quiet down. Then running it for another 10 miles totally quieted it down. Next day cold start, the noise was GONE, for the first time in a year I started the truck with NO lifter noise.
Now, people call this stuff snake oil, whatever, I heard the results with my own ears.
Ran the truck for 50 miles, dumped the oil, and it was black as tar.
The truck never made any lifter noise after that one treatment.
Before that, I was ready to sell the truck, it was that bad.
The stuff works great for sticky lifters, did the same for a friends truck too.
Ragtop, I'm glad I came across this post. For the past month my bike has been making a lot of lifter noise at start up.
I started reading up on lifters thinking I was going to have to change them out, when I came across this post. I had a can of Seafoam sitting in the garage and thought why not give it a try.
After the first ride with it in the bike I have not heard the noise. It's been about a week and still no noise. Going to change the oil today and see how it sounds.
Thanks for the post, it saved me some wrenching for now at least.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:18 AM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The newer Harley C lifters have a bad reputation. Or.
If there is any thing migrating around in the oil and gets in the lifter chances are it won't come out, could possibly be holding the check valve open.
Would think it better to find the noise and repair than put something in the oil to mask problem.
Next time a Harley mechanic says that it's normal ask him if his bike makes that noise, if he says yes walk over to it with him so you can hear it.
Russ