Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CT Riders & Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CT Riders & Helmets

Can someone from CT. or a state where helmet laws are not mandatory explain to me why 95% of riders on cruisers do not wear helmets?

Is it a freedom thing, a macho thing ( but the female passengers don't wear them either), or just stupidity?

Old 11-14-2010, 02:13 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i live in a non mandatory helmet state and i always wear one. it comes down to choice though. ain't it strange that as soon as you get off your motorcycle and get in your car you're required to click your seatbelt? you're allowed to ride your bike without a helmet but required to wear a seatbelt in a car. go figure.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:18 AM
fatvette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you just had to go and pop the lid off this can of worms again didn't you LOL. And since you are using percentages I live in a voluntary helmet state and I wear my fullface 99.256% of the time.

p.s. I know what you saying...

Old 11-14-2010, 03:13 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sure are a lot of "why" questions lately. Some countries will execute you for even questioning such freedoms, or lack there of. Fortunately we live in one that still allows freedom of choice. The non-helmet wearing crowd would probably ask why you wear a helmet. I happen to live in a state that makes me wear one and also charges $27 for half gallon of black velvet, and only let's me buy it in a state controlled liquor store! Why, I ask you, why??

Old 11-14-2010, 04:55 AM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I live in a state with neither a helmet law or seat belt law. I would estimate less than half of the cruiser riders use helmets while most of the metric riders use them. I would also guess that more than 50% wear seat belts. I guess you chock it up to freedom of choice.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I have been riding in Connecticut
for 25+ years. I wear a helmet at all times. It seems to be a macho thing. And if the guy doesn't own a helmet then he doesn't have one to give to the passenger. It should be the choice of the riders. I always wear a seatbelt too. Been a LEO for a long time. Saw a lot of bad , nasty injuries that could have been avoided. Just say'n is all.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

We're learning a lot about what CT-izens think is dumb or stupid.

First apes and now freedom to choose to wear a helmet.

I can't imagine whats coming next...

lp

Old 11-14-2010, 10:40 AM
oldandbusted
Advanced

dress for the crash, not for the ride.........

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Colorado does not have a mandatory helmet use requirement (except under 18). For years I rode without a helmet just because; nothing macho or otherwise...just didn't wear a helmet. I have lived in places where a helmet was mandatory and wore one, so this was just a 'choice' thing.

After my accident in April 2008, while laying on the highway awaiting the ambulance, I said to myself (strange how we remember things like this so vividly): "Guess it's time to start wearing the helmet!" (I always had at least my full-face in the Tour-Pak, and usually had the 3/4 there too, just chose not to wear)

Now I wear a helmet all the time. I've got a half-shell for the really warm days, my 3/4 for the vast majority of riding and my modular full-face for the bad weather or cooler days.

One thing I have noticed is that as more of my friends see / hear about accidents, many who never used to wear a helmet are now wearing one.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

"I happen to live in a state that makes me wear one and also charges $27 for half gallon of black velvet, and only let's me buy it in a state controlled liquor store! Why, I ask you, why??"

Hey, don't complain, you could live in a dry county.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 11-14-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: CT Riders & Helmets