Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp & Primary Bearing Issues Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Comp & Primary Bearing Issues Oh My!

Reading this forum and other HD Tech forums reveals that there are many compensator and inner primary bearing/races issues. Plus the fluid of choice in the primary may or may not cause some of the issues.

The ATF crowd (me included) see better shifting and no slipping of the clutch. The oil crowd says that oil or HD primary+ fluid gives the components better lubrication and longer life.

Does oil in the primary make the chain last longer, lubricate the bearings more, stop the rusting on the comp shaft????

Also, the fill point of the primary is at the bottom of the clutch pak. That being said, the only lube reaching the bearings and comp shaft is from it flinging up into those areas while the bike is in motion, correct? If that's the case, you would think thinner fluid would do a better job, or not!

I know nothings going to fix cheap '***** bearings but I'm sure there are many bikes out there with many miles on them that have no comp or bearing issues.

I was already to make the grooves on the comp sprocket until I read some of the later post on the tolerances that allowed fluid to the areas in question.

What we should do is request a survey of the riders who have had inner primary bearing issues and find out what fluid they have used up to the point of failure.

I would guess that many/most of them have used the HD primary fluid up to the point of failure.

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 12-15-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Comp, clutch, and bearing replaced last month, I was using Amsoil ATF from the 1,000 mile service up to the 20,000 mile service, when I changed to Drag Specialties Primary Fluid. The DS fluid gives me far superior clutch engagement compared to the Amsoil. Oddly, the Amsoil works better in the Night Train with a S/E 6-speed and Barnett clutch.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replaced Main Drive Gear bearing at 45k, and while I was there I replaced the IPB with the Baker High Torque. However the IPB and Inner Race were in perfect shape. I replaced them for the ease of the Baker slip fit.
Used HD Formula + almost exclusively. I did experiment with B&M trick shift (dino and syn) for a couple hundred miles though.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

IPB failed at 37,000 miles. I used 10w40 motor oil in the primary. Have been using HD formula+ since. The dealer used the formula+ when they changed the IPB and then I had comp issues. When comp was replaced, the dealer used formula+ again. I haven't had to change primary oil for a while. I don't know what I'll use when I do.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:45 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15K inner primary bearing race had signs of failure pending during SE120R Kit install. Using AMSOil 20W50 synthetic.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a small sampling so far - but it seems to be pointing to synthetics as a possible cause?
I used/use Mobil 1 90/140 syn in my trans, and the big bearing went. Hmmmmm?
Something to be said for dino maybe????
We'll see as more respond....
Good post!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:36 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
This is a small sampling so far - but it seems to be pointing to synthetics as a possible cause?
I used/use Mobil 1 90/140 syn in my trans, and the big bearing went. Hmmmmm?
Something to be said for dino maybe????
We'll see as more respond....
Good post!
I doubt it's a synthetic issue. I think it's a matter of primary fluid versus ATF or motor oil. With the ATF, I had enormous difficulty launching the bike 2-up and loaded. The clutch pull was wildly inconsistent, and it chattered like mad. For a stock clutch, run primary fluid. As I said, the Barnett in the 'Train loves synthetic ATF.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM
dwg1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IPB replaced at 18,000 miles 2008 Ultra mobile 1 v twin I now use harley primary lube

Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone explain the symptoms of premarure IPB bearing failure please. I've noticed lately that if I'm hard on the throttle I can feel a grinding feeling comming through the bike. It's hard to explain but its there and only noticable when I'm hard on the throttle. Cruising I dont feel a thing though.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

2009 FLHTC- 11,000 miles
I do notice different clutch action depending on fluid in the primary- and have gone back to H-D primary +. I get better feel from the clutch with it.

2.) regarding the compensator- I read alot about them failing
I have 80,000 miles on each of 2 evos with no compensator problems.

I wonder if the compensator problems I read about here have anything to do with the huge number of riders who describe lugging their motors.
Many, many riders write of riding below 2000 rpm and how good their pipes sound....

I wonder if the huge number of riders new to Harley-Davidsons are not riding within the design limits of the machine.

or not

Mike

Quick Reply: Comp & Primary Bearing Issues Oh My!