Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long trip or long for me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:09 AM
asahi1234
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First long trip or long for me.

Went to the parents house for Christmas about 330 miles one way. My hands and feet were the coldest. I dressed in layers with Under Armour 3.0, flannel lined jeans and a coat. I know I need to get Gerbing heated equipment. The temp going up was around 35 and the temp coming back was around 40. One more the thing the stock seat has got to go. The stock seat seams to having me seated more forward. I am 6' 2" on a stock RKC. Should I change the bars first and then the seat or the other way around? I am getting pain between the shoulder blades and my right arm. Maybe the pain in the right arm is because still braking in the engine and not useing cruise. At what milage can I use the cruise? The dealer said after 500 miles. Is this right?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:20 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

you now should have at least 660 miles on your bike. i used my cruise control when buying my 08 streetglide from the dealership when new. just make sure to turn off the cruise every 50 miles or so and ride it manually for a little bit. keeping the rpm's the same for an extended period of time is why the dealer suggested not using the cruise. that's a good trip when it's winter, even in texas. i live about two hundred miles straight north of dallas on hiway 69, and haven't ridden much this winter. bars from the heritage softail are the ones a lot of guys with road kings use. sit on a heritage softail and see how they feel. be sure to not lug the motor by using 6th gear when you're doing less than 60 mph or so. congratulations on your first road trip.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 AM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Congrats on the bike. I'd get a seat your butt likes, then adjust the rest. Every seat I've tried has changed my position relative to the controls. It would suck to get the bars done only to find you couldn't get a seat that wouldn't screw it all up.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:26 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would probably go with seat first if your sure that's your problem. Otherwise you might be able to correct your whole problem with bars. You mentioned that you had pain between your shoulder blades and your right arm, I would tend to think that would be more handle bar position than seat. In any case, there are many seat threads and handle bar threads on the forum with guys about your size stating their case on which handle bars and/or seat is best.

Good luck on finding a good fit.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:26 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have problems with stock seat/handlebar height and reach. I'm about 5'7". With my VStar, I added pullback risers that raised the bars and brought them back. That solved the upper back/shoulder pain. On my Ultra I had the Reach seat installed and also I installed the HD Touring Pull back bars. The lower seat effectively raised the bars. That solved the same problem of upper back/shoulder pain.

Check your posture!! If you have to bend your back to reach down or forward for the bars, I think you're back and shoulders are going to hurt. I would also try a rider's backrest as they are invaluable for helping posture, especially on longer trips. The support it provides is amazing. I rode my bike 20,000 miles without the backrest and the last 25,000 with the backrest has been a night and day improvement.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The most expensive is the seat...should be first.

Bars after that. I added 4" pullback risers and kept the stock bars. To each his own, but the Heritage bars don't "look" right on the RK IMHO...

Good luck

Beav

Old 12-31-2010, 05:43 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,415 Likes on 3,311 Posts

MUstang, C&C, COrbin ETC...Backrest for sure...At least 2" pull pack bars...I am 6'1" and did this on my EGC...Makes some difference. i still would like to get better bars...will do mini apes eventally. I like my Mystang but i wouldn't mind trying something new now after 55k miles on it...Not sure if i will try Sundowner or Corbin.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master

Seat first as that changes all the rest of the options. Congrats on the ride. Better weather equates to longer days in the saddle... and more enjoyable at that. I rode down to SC in October from FL the first 300 were cold and wet. Covered 450 the first day 500 the second.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master

cold hands and feet, gerbings makes heated boot inserts and gloves, and for the pain between your shoulder blades, i had the same thing, changed out the bars first to the police bike heritage style then had the seat shaved down

Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Find a day when the locals are gathered so you can see a lot of bikes, ask questions as to bars you like, seats that look good and so on; if you ride in they will most likely let you 'test' their set up for your comfort. Best way I know to get the seat right the first try and the bars as close as possible on a first try.

Quick Reply: First long trip or long for me.