Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle 254E Cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Big Pete
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah jpalm can be the same here in Australia, the city i live in only has one dearler and more interested in taking money from you and not telling the truth on issues, so i travelled an hour and a half to another dealer to buy my bike after great recomendations from mates who have dealed with him before and he was great to deal with, when i was talking to him about upgrades he said the 254E cams would be fine and he'd cover them if fitted by his shop he did say he hasn't had any experience with the 254E cams but going by the information in the catalogue would be a good bolt in cam for my bike,
And i too have thought about just adding the ventilator A/C and SEPST and leaving it that way till warranty runs out then look at more motor upgrades then

Old 01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default cam

Originally Posted by Big Pete
I'm interested in the new SE254E and was wondering if anyone has actually fitted these to their bike and their thoughts on them and any Dyno Sheets, i've done a search and there is a little bit on them but seems no one has tried them out as yet,
I've got a 2011 Street Glide 103 ABS security and cruise control have just fitted the SE Fatshotz mufflers a couple of weeks ago and have a Ventilator A/C to fit along with SEPST
Been looking at the Fuelmoto 2-1-2 headpipes to get rid of the cat headpipe and was thinking while headpipe is off why not do a cam upgrade as well because it will happen eventually
I've read people thoughts on them compared to the SE255 and the woods cams options as well, so hoping to hear from someone who has actually tried the SE254E cams

Regards
Big Pete
Big Pete... have not fitted these, however I have 255's...switched to 54h cams...my reason was the high cranking pressure due to the early intake close of 25 degrees. That said, the 254 cam has a later intake close. This will reduce cranking pressure for easy starts in your 103. Also, the duration is longer making a longer powerband, hence the pull ahead against the 255s. Also to help, the curve on a dyno should move slightly to the right a few hundred rpms and extend further. I would propose a 3-5 hp minimum increase over the 255s at peak. Torque should be better as well, but comes on a few hundred rpms later as well. I have a 103 as well, would've tried the 254s, but had the andrews 54h cams on the shelf....hope this helps...

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 AM
Big Pete
Advanced

Thanks RK09RK
Every bit of information is a help seems like it would be a good all round bolt in cam and looks good on paper was just hoping to hear from someone who has fitted them, but with the information i've got so far from you and jpalm so far i've still got an interest in them, so it might be me that ends up bitting the bullet and trying them out 1st on this forum

Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete,
I'll be adding them to my bike in the next month or so (time, time, time). The following link has a dyno graph that looks promising. I know I could get more power, but this cam should be very fuel friendly and NOT prone to ping like some others. My SEPST also has a canned map for it which will make it easier until I get a full dyno tune.

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....c,32584.0.html

Mark

Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

it might be me that ends up bitting the bullet and trying them out 1st on this forum
Christopher Columbus, Neil Armstrong, Henry Ford and now Big Pete. You are a true pioneer my friend! Please keep us posted on your findings.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Big Pete
Advanced

Hey ColoSpgsMark
Thanks for the link looks like i have to register 1st to see it so i'll check it out later, looking at your sig we'll have just about the same set up except for the mufflers i went with the Fatshotz and still have to order the fuelmoto 2-1-2 headpipe and wait for it to arrive here in Australia, so you might have the cams in before i do, good luck with it hope the 254E cams work out well and keep me posted

and jpalm looks like ColoSprgMark might beat me to it thats ok someone has to be 1st, hopefully HD will have good stock of the 254E cams as not many seem to be fitted yet

Regards
Big Pete

Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey ColoSpgsMark
Thanks for the link looks like i have to register 1st to see it so i'll check it out later, looking at your sig we'll have just about the same set up except for the mufflers i went with the Fatshotz and still have to order the fuelmoto 2-1-2 headpipe and wait for it to arrive here in Australia, so you might have the cams in before i do, good luck with it hope the 254E cams work out well and keep me posted

and jpalm looks like ColoSprgMark might beat me to it thats ok someone has to be 1st, hopefully HD will have good stock of the 254E cams as not many seem to be fitted yet

Regards
Big Pete
Hey Big Pete, I checked out that link and the TQ curve and numbers looked very good - very bagger friendly with low end grunt that actually carries out quite far (unlike the SE 255's).

Interestingly, the graph in that link looked very similar to many Andrews 48H cam charts that have been used as "bolt in" cams in the 96" motors.... producing 100TQ and 90HP.

I say you can't go wrong. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Big Pete
Advanced

Thanks for that thewholehog
like you say looks like i can't go wrong with 254E cams and like ColoSprgMark said there is a canned map in the SEPST for those cams so i'll go ahead and order them and the Fuelmoto 2-1-2 headpipe and fit them both at same time
Thanks everyone for the imformation so far they looked good on paper just needed some comfirmation from someone thats fitted them but not to many have so far, maybe after this more might also take an interest in the 254E cams

Regards
Big Pete

Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that thewholehog
like you say looks like i can't go wrong with 254E cams and like ColoSprgMark said there is a canned map in the SEPST for those cams so i'll go ahead and order them and the Fuelmoto 2-1-2 headpipe and fit them both at same time
Thanks everyone for the imformation so far they looked good on paper just needed some comfirmation from someone thats fitted them but not to many have so far, maybe after this more might also take an interest in the 254E cams

Regards
Big Pete
BTW... check out this thread..... it might change your mind to the SE204

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ited-dyno.html

This is the cam I'll be putting in my new 103" FLHR.... nearly 100HP and well over 100TQ!!!! Hard to beat.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i'm guessing that the lift of those 254 cams has .540 lift? the reason i suggested the 259-E cams is because they take advantage of the stock heads and have more lift at .579". the kit was designed for the tri-glide which is so heavy that they are underpowered compared to a regular e-glide. the kit i used was hd screamin eagle part #27544-10, and since the dealership did my build they've been building a lot of them with that recipe because it'll really wake up a tri glide, imagine how that motor pulls in a regular FLH. if i remember right, the kit is right around $1500. i had the heads bored for the manual compression releases because when the weather is hot and the humidity is high, you really need them. i got the s.e. compensator, the hd sepst tuner, very well tuned on the dyno also. i am using the v&h pro pipe and it really works well for my application. while they were in there i suggested the torrington/timken cam bearings and they already beat me to it so that's good too. zippers air cleaner element that increases allows the intake side of the motor to breathe. you're going to be boring your cylinders anyway, and the 10.5 forged pistons would not cost much more than low compression cast pistons. ( if all you did was bore your cylinders, use the high compression pistons from the kit, install manual compression releases, and use the se 259-E cams) that would make a great combination that you could add to later on if you decided to. i considered heads, but most of what i wanted didn't have the boss for the cross link to the chassis. i'd have loved to used the htcc pistons and heads, but they don't have the boss for the cross link to the frame. think about that kit, and look at it in the screamin eagle catalog. i know i'm very happy with mine, and doing it took about four days. it pulls from off idle up to the 6200 rev limiter with no dips, but just a steady strong climb. they keep my dyno sheet there at the harley dealership to show to other guys who are wanting a lot of bang for the buck. pm me if you wanna see my dyno sheet. i don't have a clue as to how to send it in here, but i can easily attach it to an email if you'd like. one member in here has the quote by his signature, he's phil-m and it says, in effect, "use parts that compliment each other" and harley really did their homework when they came up with this kit. i hope this helps, pm me if you need any more information.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle 254E Cams