Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle 254E Cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i apologize man, didn't know that you already have a 103, i misunderstood or didn't pay attention while reading your thread, i thought you were going to have the heads and cylinders off for boring. but you're already at the right bore. my bad. i looked at those two cams when they came out about a year ago i think. the 254-E and the 259-E, and had a couple of conferences with the builder, the tuner, and the shop manager at harley and they all three suggested the 259, so that's all i got to go on, other than the grin i get every time i crack the throttle.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Big Pete
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all that information emwolb i did take a look at that kit and it does look good, my bike is a 2011 model with the 103 and ACR and SE compensator already in place only 2 months old i have fitted the SE Fatshotz already and have the SE ventilator A/C and SEPST sitting in garage waiting to be done, hopefully this weekend as it looks like more rain here, was getting the Fuelmoto 2-1-2 headpipe to get rid of the cat headpipe so thought i'd look for a bolt in cam just for now, i agree the 259E kit does look good but don't want to go pulling motor down that far unless i need too just yet, thats why i'm more interested in the 254E cam for now but later on when warrenty runs out will look at more motor work, just want to get it running sweet then get out and enjoy ridding my new bike

and thewholehog i have looked at that info on the SE204 looks interesting as well, great in one way there is so many cams to choose from these days but bad it can get confusing trying to pick the right one, but i think i'll be happy with the 254E for now, or maybe that 204 i can feel a headache coming on :-)

Regards
Big Pete

Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Big Pete
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
i apologize man, didn't know that you already have a 103, i misunderstood or didn't pay attention while reading your thread, i thought you were going to have the heads and cylinders off for boring. but you're already at the right bore. my bad. i looked at those two cams when they came out about a year ago i think. the 254-E and the 259-E, and had a couple of conferences with the builder, the tuner, and the shop manager at harley and they all three suggested the 259, so that's all i got to go on, other than the grin i get every time i crack the throttle.
Not a problem emwolb i too hope to have that grin, well actually i do get it now when ridding just need to make the grin bigger to show off my new front tooth :-)

Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM
texasrich27
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havenolife is correct, this cam does not wake up until about 3200 rpm, it's decent from 3700 and starts to drop off at 4700. I put them in my 2010 Street Glide on the advice of the dealer. I wanted 204's. Low end torque was terrible. The tuner I went to said it was a terrible choice for the 96, not enough compression I think was part of the problem. He suggested an Andrews 26H and I went with it. Got the low end back and gained 7 lbs of torque at the max. Can't say what the 254 will do in your 103 but I hated it.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

The 103" does have a bit more compression than the 96" - specs say 9.6:1, so we'll see how it works out. I'm thinking that if it's too flat on the bottom end, I can always add a 4 degree advance gear to bolster it a bit.

Mark

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Pete
and thewholehog i have looked at that info on the SE204 looks interesting as well, great in one way there is so many cams to choose from these days but bad it can get confusing trying to pick the right one, but i think i'll be happy with the 254E for now, or maybe that 204 i can feel a headache coming on :-)

Regards
Big Pete
Sorry to confuse you mate..... but I just had to show you how great those 204's did on that particular build (very similar to yours) and the 204's will be definitely going in my 103" as soon as I can afford it.

Yes, cam choices can definitely give you a headache... LOL been there.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
The 103" does have a bit more compression than the 96" - specs say 9.6:1, so we'll see how it works out. I'm thinking that if it's too flat on the bottom end, I can always add a 4 degree advance gear to bolster it a bit.

Mark
Mark, I'm very interested in how you go with the 254's..... please post up your results. FWIW I don't think you'll need the 4* adv. They should do fine straight up.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow.. Big Pete and others.. i was looking into same cams.. i wont get my new bike till april... i did also ask my dealer about warranty issue.. they say as long as u put in SE parts without the "checker Flag" symbol next to the parts on the SE catalog and installed by a HD dealer your warranty will still be valid... i still have time to decide if i want to put in cams B4 delivery of the new bike or wait till warranty expires... previous SG had 7 year warranty i paid for so i didnt get extened warraty this time due to wanting more power on take off... on paper the SE254E cams do look right for the bike.. i estimate after installing V&H power duals, SE AC heavy breather, SE254E cams with my PCV it should pull rear wheel dyno close to 85HP 110TQ... thats pretty much what i am looking for.. for 95HP plus then would need major investment like a Stage IV or III..
I do usually rev to 4k RPM and i dont like the SE255's loss at higher RPM's.. just my thoughts...

im a follower to this post too... very curious..

Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

This SE 254E cam sounds like a future upgrade for me. I have a SE air cleaner, the 6200 rpm download, and the SE Fatshotz exhaust. I don't plan on doing any head work. When the cash is available, I will add the cam and a PCV and an auto tuner at the same time. After doing these upgrades I'm sure I will be pleased.

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by papifun
wow.. Big Pete and others.. i was looking into same cams.. i wont get my new bike till april... i did also ask my dealer about warranty issue.. they say as long as u put in SE parts without the "checker Flag" symbol next to the parts on the SE catalog and installed by a HD dealer your warranty will still be valid... i still have time to decide if i want to put in cams B4 delivery of the new bike or wait till warranty expires... previous SG had 7 year warranty i paid for so i didnt get extened warraty this time due to wanting more power on take off... on paper the SE254E cams do look right for the bike.. i estimate after installing V&H power duals, SE AC heavy breather, SE254E cams with my PCV it should pull rear wheel dyno close to 85HP 110TQ... thats pretty much what i am looking for.. for 95HP plus then would need major investment like a Stage IV or III.. ..
I have to disagree with that statement.... see my earlier post regarding the se 204s in the stock 103" motors. There is a dyno chart there showing 97HP and 108TQ with just bolt in 204 cams and a good tune.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle 254E Cams