Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street glide headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
CiSmAXz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street glide headlight question

Can someone post a close up picture of their headlight on a a street glide? I got my Hogtunes in today and of course I was so excited to get them in that I didn't bother to read any posts on how to get the fairing off. Being the dummy I am I decided I might need to take the ring around the headlight off. So I did and then found out I didn't need to do that. Anyway, I am not sure I put the "ring" back on correctly because there is a gap.

Btw - Hogtunes sound great!

Old 10-03-2006, 10:54 PM
dionne51
Road Captain
Default RE: Street glide headlight question

Post your photo and I can tell you if it matches mine and looks ok. I tried to take some photos in the garage but it's too dark right now and the flash is just making a mess in close-up mode.

There is a gap by the way between the outer diameter of the glass and the trim ring. It is set slightly back away from the bulb too.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:42 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

your ring should have a rubber seal around it and a phillips screw at the bottom, make sure the screw is lined up and just push the ring all the way around the headlite and install the screw. hope you get it squared away

Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 AM
CiSmAXz
Advanced

ORIGINAL: mikeisglidn

your ring should have a rubber seal around it and a phillips screw at the bottom, make sure the screw is lined up and just push the ring all the way around the headlite and install the screw. hope you get it squared away
That is what I did. I'll have to take a look at it again tomorrow. thanks for the replies.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:56 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

The E glide trim rings had not changed in basic design from 96 to 01, my models. Be careful of the top lock spring that engages a slot on the mount attached to the batwing. My wife's 01 had been jammed on by a less than thoughtful wrench. I had to spend a couple of fitful minutes today to replace her H4 bulb and had to reshape the spring clip. It hooks on at the top, and draws the ring back up top. Apply some judicial pressure around the ring and the hole at the bottome waits the screw.

The newer models may be different, but I doubt it. Just be aware of the spring and slot. If it is not engaged the lamp is loose at the top and may cause 'serious injury or more money'.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

Just got the 01 Trike back and the guys who are usually right on at the OC trike shop did the 'jamb it on' thing with the trim ring. I don't get the simple things that get missed and are really so simple. The front end was off for a new rake EZ steer. Makes one wonder about what else may be not spot on....

Old 11-15-2006, 01:20 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 PM
phnxrider
Advanced

My headlight gasket looks sloppy after bulb change. Trim ring spacing around the light is not even. Any ideas as to get the gasket more uniform (it want to bulge out in a few places)?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 AM
KrustyHD222
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Riding "ringless?"

Had a similar problem on my '03 EG. That dang spring clip is a giant PITA! Swapped my stock light for a E-code lamp and 85/100 bulb. When the spring clip is in the slot, the ring sits way too high and I don't want to force it down, fearing I may break more stuff.

Gasket won't stay in place and looks like crap when I try to squish everything back on. I am tempted to ride ring-less! (My OCD won't let me do such reckless things...)

2003 EG Ultra

Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM
KrustyHD222
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...bump...