Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:20 PM
wildbill118
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake leak

Got a question..At the top of the forks ,in the middle there is an aluminum "manifold" Looks like that is the place where the front metal brake lines come together and split off to the rubber brake lines on either side of the front wheel. This piece is secured by a single screw in the center to the top of the tree. I noticed what looked like a drop of oil coming from the screw or at least around the threads. Is this in fact some sort of common place the lines join or is it just a braket that secures the metal tube before the brake lines begin. Do I have a crack in the tube inside or is it a leak of the braket or "manifold" itself. I gave a little torgue to the screw and as far as I can tell the drip is stopped or slowed to almost nothing. I can't find this piece in the service manual...09 street glide with abs. Just need to know if I have a problem developing. warrenty expires in 2 months and I don't want to bother the service guys with nothing. By the way I didn't have this until they changed the front tire a few weeks ago although I can't see why they wouldneed to mess with this as part of a front wheel removal.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the screw your talking about is just that so the brake line will mount on that lower plate your talking about the brake fluid does not go threw the screw. but when u had your front tire replaced did they service the bike. if they did they grease the neck bearings and they purge it until the clean grease comes out. happend to me grease was coming out and i thought i had a leak some where in the front end.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

this will sound silly, but take your finger and touch the fluid. if it's brake fluid you'll be able to tell. it's completely different than oil or grease.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Tiki Steve
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are your brake lines still stock? If so that header piece is a one piece unit, as RoadGlideRick said, that screw just goes through and holds the header block on. If it is brake fluid I would think you'll notice a loss of brake function and fluid. It is possible that in changing your tire they could possible have cracked the line but I would not think so, keep an eye on it.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
if they did they grease the neck bearings and they purge it until the clean grease comes out. happend to me grease was coming out and i thought i had a leak some where in the front end.
Agree.
Check for excess grease on the lower tripple tree.

After the dealer did the 1K service on mine,grease was dripping on the fender and blowing onto the the tank.