Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust flange retaining ring upgrade

Old 03-04-2011, 06:49 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Exhaust flange retaining ring upgrade

I tried this retaining ring as an experiment when I installed my exhaust last spring, and I’m glad I did. Since then I've had the exhaust off about 4 times for various reasons and the ring is not rusted or distorted in any way. I would never suggest changing the exhaust flange retaining ring just for the purpose of upgrading it, but if you are working on the exhaust anyway, this is a real nice replacement that I would definitely categorize as an upgrade. It is a spiral, gapless, 18-8 stainless steel retaining ring, it fits the flange ID a little tighter than OEM and provides more surface area contact with the flange. It is a little thinner than the OEM ring but ultimately it is still stonger because of the material. It can be installed by hand without some type of spreader pliers, and it is priced relatively cheap at $3.00, considering its probably the last retaining ring you will need for the life of the bike. (this ring fits stock size 1 ¾” head pipes, you’ll have to look for a different ring for bigger pipes)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#91650a540/=bajtqi
I also tried these flange lock nuts for the flange studs to replace the OEMs, which have proven to work excellent. $9.00 for a bag of 100. At .09 each you can afford to use a new one anytime you remove it. I’ll admit I bought some high dollar stainless nuts at the same time but I never used them, I liked the black phosphates better.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3185/=bajya0
If I ever have to replace studs, I would probably spend the extra $ for stainless, but good stainless nuts are a waste at $6.00 a piece.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Re: studs.
Stainless can be brittle.
Wonder if that could lead to stud breaking-

I had a steel stud shatter years ago- previous owner ( or factory) had not used anti-seize on nuts.

That was a PITA

Mike

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Re: studs.
Stainless can be brittle.
Wonder if that could lead to stud breaking-

I had a steel stud shatter years ago- previous owner ( or factory) had not used anti-seize on nuts.

That was a PITA

Mike
Not all stainless is created equal, a stud will not be hardened and tempered the same as a brittle knife blade; regardless, most stainless alloys would be mechanically suitable as a Harley exhaust stud, just not cost effective. Your shattered stud was likely the result of the extra force applied attempting to remove a seized nut. Seizure typically results from rust and corrosion forming in the tiny space between the male and female threads, effectively bonding the stud and nut together as one. Since stainless doesn't rust (most stainless alloys don’t rust) it is not likely that a steel nut would seize on a stainless stud. As I just posted on another thread just yesterday, anti-seize is not called for, look it up in the service manual, you wont find it. Think about it, anti-seize in conjunction with a high temp, high vibration application that only calls for 8-10 ft/lbs; what would keep that nut on.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought for sure this retaining ring would draw some interest. Oh well, guess it'll be my little secret.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
kenlani
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh Yes , these are just dandy- I have been spending a lot of effort trying different pipes and am so tired of removing/installing the retaining rings--these are just the thing for me-----Thank You for the link

Old 09-09-2011, 06:05 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kenlani
Oh Yes , these are just dandy- I have been spending a lot of effort trying different pipes and am so tired of removing/installing the retaining rings--these are just the thing for me-----Thank You for the link
Too cool, somebody else finally found these usefull. I just swapped pipes again about three weeks ago, and they are still in perfect condition. not distorted at all and didn't lose their springitude, and I've been runing lean and hot enough to burn the Swain Tech ceramic off my pipes. They do make short work of swapping flanges.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thank you for the info. I bookmarked the pages. I have had countless times frustrationed from having to R/R rusted header flange nuts and studs on my cars in my life. I will have to R/R the clutch in my 96 Mustang Cobra soon and I know it will be a bear. New SS studs or bolts and nuts are the way to go.

Thanks for the link.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 PM
onespeed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

A question for the ones who know- when you buy a new complete exhaust system- does it come with new flanges and retainer rings. How about the gasket?

I have sold my V & H Big Shots, should the flanges go with it?

Thanks

Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by onespeed
A question for the ones who know- when you buy a new complete exhaust system- does it come with new flanges and retainer rings. How about the gasket?

I have sold my V & H Big Shots, should the flanges go with it?

Thanks
Most aftermarket pipes are designed to work with OEM flanges so they don't come with new flanges, you just swap them out. I would verify if your new system comes with flanges befor letting go of the old ones. Some come with gaskets, some don't, ask the manufacturer. Either way I would still recommend trying the retaining rings mentioned in the original post, they are awesome, last set you'll have to buy, barring any crazy damage, remove and replace numerous times with no distortion and stainless so no rust.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Bloozmann
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the catalog number for the nuts?..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust flange retaining ring upgrade