Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obsolete SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 AM
BUIZILLA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default obsolete SERT?

I may have missed some comments here somewhere, but..

my dealer says my SERT on my 07 is obsolete, and I have to buy the latest version, and throw the old one away, b4 the bike can be re-tuned..

just strikes me odd

what say you?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bullshit! There is a newer version, but I would think that yours would still be supported by the Dealer. Typical Stealer upsell.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 AM
BUIZILLA
Tourer

I have no facts to argue with, seems crazy to me, really need to get to the bottom of this... 4 year old SERT that's obsolete? i'm having a really hard time with this... either I buy the new one, or they can't tune the bike

I like my dealer, and thats what they said, but THIS makes no sense if HD did this worldwide..

Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Better thing to do is take your SERT and send it in to TTS Mastertune and get it upgraded to that for $100. I did just that.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM
88racing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BS.....
My dealer still supports them.....
They will try to sell the latest and greatest but we all know how dealers are...

Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
I may have missed some comments here somewhere, but..

my dealer says my SERT on my 07 is obsolete, and I have to buy the latest version, and throw the old one away, b4 the bike can be re-tuned..

just strikes me odd

what say you?
I say bull crap, I was thinking I needed to upgrade the SERT that came with my 06 Street Bob as part of installing the SE 120R engine into the bike. My tuner (Mike Stegmann at Latus HD in Gladstone Oregon) assured me he could tune the bike fully with the tuner I have. The results in the signature line prove his point. 139.92 hp and 133.70 tq.

Mike stated during our conversation that SERT didn't have some of the features of the latest tuner (speedo calibration was one feature I think and there may be others I don't recall), but that the tuner was more than capable of tuning the engine. He also said in his opinion that folks blaming SERT for lack of results just plain don't understand the tool or prefer another tuning platform.

At the end of the day though you have a decision. The shop you are going to is convinced your SERT is obsolete so you either have to upgrade the tuner to the one they prefer or you need to find another tuner that understands how to use SERT to tune.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 AM
old.gezr
Road Captain

Thats like saying your '07 bike is obsolete because there are newer and improved models out. BS. Upgrade it through TTS and it'll be as good as you can get. Ride safe.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for Mike Stegmann, he knows his stuff. Latus has their act together.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM
BUIZILLA
Tourer

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
I during our conversation that SERT didn't have some of the features of the latest tuner (speedo calibration was one feature I think and there may be others I don't recall),
At the end of the day though you have a decision. The shop you are going to is convinced your SERT is obsolete so you either have to upgrade the tuner to the one they prefer or you need to find another tuner that understands how to use SERT to tune.
I had to go to the new tuner box if they were to do it, they tuned it yesterday and this morning > stock 96 went from 74/86 to 80/92.... I need to question them on the speedo recal since mine has always read fast..

what pisses me off is the bike ran absolutely flawless for 4 years since new on the original SERT until one day I hit a hard bump and it ran like crap after that, then it broke 3 fairing mounts from engine vibration in one day...., two visits, two weeks, and now i'm out $1600 to get it all fixed and I now find out I didn't have to buy a new box??... makes no sense...

Last edited by BUIZILLA; 03-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:49 PM
BUIZILLA
Tourer

just got back.... bike runs good on the power, but a little lean at cruise and idle since the map is locked at 14.6 for an O2 reading under light load... I am told to correct that we need to drop the O2 function and lock in a 14.0-14.2 number on areas of the map... pulls real good other than that, better than ever actually... best stock block 96 i've ever ridden..

they did say this new HD tuner won't do speedo recal, so I seriously need to investigate that aspect now

all opinions welcome..

Quick Reply: obsolete SERT?