Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour-pak wrap-around led light kit ??

Old 05-07-2011, 12:19 PM
McGillea
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tour-pak wrap-around led light kit ??

I had my dealer install the TOUR-PAK WRAP-AROUND LED LIGHT KIT (part #67931-11) on my 2011 FLTRU. When I put the ignition switch in the accessory position the LEDs are on. No other running/marker lights are on.
Can anyone tell me if this is correct? I'd like to be able to play some music through the sound system when the bike is parked (camping, cleaning, hanging out) and not put an extra drain on the battery.
If this is correct operation has anyone installed a switch to disconnect the Tour-Pak LEDs when the ignition switch is in the accessory position?

Old 05-07-2011, 12:54 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Doesn't sound right. HERE is the instruction sheet for that which shows how it should be wired. I would double check the wiring according to the sheet

Old 05-07-2011, 03:30 PM
natetp1227
Advanced

That is the correct install. My bike is the same way from the factory. If the ignition is on everything is on. If I switch to aux then the back lights are on and the headlights off. The LED won't drain enough power to be worried. I run my radio all the time and I just start the bike every few hours to be safe.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been thinking about buying this setup myself. How do you like it? I put the LED turn signals and brake light on already and they look pretty good. Some pics would be nice....

Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I don't have any constructive input for you but how bright would you rate them? Are they twice as bright as stock? 3, 4 times as bright? Hope you figure out the wiring issue, it doesn't sound right to me.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:47 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Mine work the same way; when accessary switch is on the dash lights are on and the rear led trunk lights are on and you can run the radio. I love the additional visibility these lights provide and think they should be standard on all Ultra's.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 PM
McGillea
Advanced

Originally Posted by dawg
Doesn't sound right. HERE is the instruction sheet for that which shows how it should be wired. I would double check the wiring according to the sheet
Thanks for the instructions dawg. I'm trying to figure just how they patch this assembly into the main harness.

Originally Posted by natetp1227
That is the correct install. The LED won't drain enough power to be worried. I run my radio all the time and I just start the bike every few hours to be safe.
This Light Kit requires up to 230 mA additional current according to the install instructions. I'm assuming that is what the system draws with a directional signal and brake light on.

Originally Posted by hubble
Been thinking about buying this setup myself. How do you like it? Some pics would be nice....
I like the unit in general. I do NOT like the fact that they stay on in the accessory position and they DO NOT function as emergency flashers.

Originally Posted by redhwk44
how bright would you rate them? Are they twice as bright as stock?
They are a "stock" Harley accessory so they are as bright as a stock system. The lumens seem to be equal to the stock incandescent taillight. I did not replace an existing system. The Road Glide ULTRA only comes with thin side markers on the Tour Pak.

Originally Posted by oldbagr
Mine work the same way. I love the additional visibility these lights provide and think they should be standard on all Ultra's.
They do light up the back and YES they should be standard on a top of the line touring bike from the MoCo.

I think H-D fell short in the design and real world "road functionality" of this product. I would suggest investigating what other vendors offer and what features they offer. Not having an "emergency flasher" function up high on the Tour Pak baffles me as much as a constant draw on the battery when in the accessory position.

THANK YOU for the help HDForum members

Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious does the led light simply plug in to the existing wiring harness inside the tour pack?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:20 AM
McGillea
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cheeze
Just curious does the led light simply plug in to the existing wiring harness inside the tour pack?
Take a look at post #2. dawg sent a link with the installation instructions.