Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Police Bikes

Seems to me I've seen a post that helped with the wiring conversion of cop bikes. I've searched to no avail. Can someone point it out, or offer suggestions? Three friends have purchased 2006 cop bikes for conversion to trikes, and the wiring is a nightmare. Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Grummpy Bear
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retiredpolicebikes.com has alot of info on cop bikes, you may find something there, they have helped me convert all my handlebar switches.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Are they using police model EG's or RK's? If they're EG's, the main wiring harness on the police model is the same as that used on the civilian model EG.

The easiest thing to do is to replace the police model interconnect harness with the civilian version, and either replace the handlebar switch harnesses with civilian versions or convert the police harnesses to civilian by swapping out the switches and modifying the harness connectors accordingly. The interconnect harness is inside the fairing and provides the electrical connections to the gauges, handelbar switches, radio, etc.

The alternative to replacing the interconnect harness is to modify the police harness to accommodate civilian accessories/features. That's what I did to add cruise control, handlebar controls of the radio, gauges, etc. It's not hard to do provided you have the wiring diagrams for the civilian and police models, and access to the HD parts books to buy the necessary connectors needed to replicate the civilian wiring inside the fairing.

What are they trying to do that is creating problems?

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Chuck612 (06-03-2019)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

All I really got from two of them was bitching about where to start. I think it was about the switches. Sounds like they just need to dive into it. Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2010 FLHTP. No problem installing radio as 1 power wire fused to battery, 1 ground and tap the lighter pos for a switched power supply. Wired 2 6.5" speakers and used the 2 empty gauge pods for tweeters. Bought a radio with USB so I can plug items in. Handlebar controls would be nice but don't bother me without. My bike has a mechanical cruise with thumb wheel instead of electric - no big deal. Love my bike as it has ABS, 103 and oil cooler from being the police bike.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Are they using police model EG's or RK's? If they're EG's, the main wiring harness on the police model is the same as that used on the civilian model EG.

The easiest thing to do is to replace the police model interconnect harness with the civilian version, and either replace the handlebar switch harnesses with civilian versions or convert the police harnesses to civilian by swapping out the switches and modifying the harness connectors accordingly. The interconnect harness is inside the fairing and provides the electrical connections to the gauges, handelbar switches, radio, etc.

The alternative to replacing the interconnect harness is to modify the police harness to accommodate civilian accessories/features. That's what I did to add cruise control, handlebar controls of the radio, gauges, etc. It's not hard to do provided you have the wiring diagrams for the civilian and police models, and access to the HD parts books to buy the necessary connectors needed to replicate the civilian wiring inside the fairing.

What are they trying to do that is creating problems?

Carl

Carl helped me out a lot when I did mine. He says it all right up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^