Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to rethink stereo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoblick
scheck out the Polk MM 6501 Components.. i just installed these in my street glide and holy **** do they sound good. I had J&M speakers in there before i upgraded.

its a pretty easy install and the clarity and bass is much improved.. i actually have bass now!
Those look good and are even marine-grade speakers. How did you mount them (adapters) and what amp are you using? Their 2.7Ω impedance would put me at around 1.85Ω with the Tweeter Pods, which is a bit better than 1.5Ω I have with the Hogtunes speakers.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by arlinsg
The one thing about the Vibe is, I did have to do some modification to install it. I had to use a hammer and chisel on my Tach and Speedo housing to make it fit. Seriously, I did have to trim them back a bit with a Dremel.
So maybe the Elf would be better, as I believe it will fit with no mods. I haven't heard an Elf, but the Vibe I have is set up so I can hear it clearly at 70 mph, showing 4 bars on the HK, this is with ear plugs and a FF.
I don't think the Elf requires any mods to fit, but based on Sam's photos in the link he provided it is a very tight fit.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Thanks for the link, as this is a great price. This is a clone of the Arc and Elf with some variations, obviously made by the same manufacturer. I notice the fine print on the bottom of the unit, one item of which is that the warranty is valid only if installed by an "authorized Vibe dealer." I've heard mixed reviews of the J&M 7¼" speakers, but enough of them are favorable to make me take a closer look at them.
I give the J&Ms a thumbs up. I have the 7.25s in my ultra with a HK head unit with no amp. No trouble hearing a cd crystal clear at 70+. Music from the ipod not as good but thats not the speakers fault.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The only time a 4 ohm speaker is 4 ohms is when there is no signal going to it. If that doesn't sound right, check a speaker with an ohm meter with the radio switched off and then with music going through it."

Remember that the ohms rating on a speaker- is more an inductive reactance rating, measured over a frequency range, (It is a coil after all), and so measuring it with an ohm meter, especially when running, would not be an accurate or true reading.
The inductive reactance of the coil does go up and down with frequency, so it would in fact change, so the part about the 4 ohms at rest would be somewhat true. Just your measuring it with a dvm would not be totally accurate.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I don't think the Elf requires any mods to fit, but based on Sam's photos in the link he provided it is a very tight fit.
It fits easily, its not up against gauges.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
you can take a quick look at post # 90

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...cs-here-3.html
That's a good reference. Do you have a list of settings that worked for you? You provided some, but where did the gain switch end up after you tweaked it with the meter? Since I have the same HK head unit they should be the same for me.

My follow up on the Jm speakers I am not sure I would buy again. I would take a listen to the Rokkers but I am not going to spend the money to hear them. I can wait until I run into some to hear.
I just bought the Elf amp on Ebay and will try it with the Hogtunes speakers and Tweeter Pods. Then if not happy I would change the main speakers out. The Polks that Hoblick suggested look very good and are reasonably priced at Amazon. My question is what adapters were used, as they presumably don't come with them.

Last edited by iclick; 06-20-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=iclick;8475043]That's a good reference. Do you have a list of settings that worked for you? You provided some, but where did the gain switch end up after you tweaked it with the meter? Since I have the same HK head unit they should be the same for me.

put the gains at about 2 o clock. if you give it some bass boost gains about 12 to 1 o clock. The gains are very sensitive. I will say with the sony marine head unit I just put in the sound is way nicer sounding. I to like the polk speakers mentioned here I would not mind checking those out.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

iclick follow that thread in the link to post 96 setting gains is talked about more. Here is a link you can read on setting up amps gains.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...mplifier-gain/

Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
But I personally think the components and general quality is probably better with the arc amp.
I found this in my recent research frenzy.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

I found this in my recent research frenzy.

Its hard to beat the Elf for sure especially with the price factored in. I recall seeing that now that you mention it.

Quick Reply: Need to rethink stereo upgrades