Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter, rebuild or replace???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter, rebuild or replace???

Well got ready to go for a ride, and all my starter would do is wrrrrrr away.:Back into the garage and I pulled the primary off and tried to start it. The pinion gear would come out and engage on the clutch shell gear and that is all. Then the wrrrring starts. There isn't any force on the clutch shell to turn it over. Does this mean the starter drive is hooped? What should I do, replace the whole starter, take it out and see if there is someone would could re-build it? Or do I replace the starter clutch drive. I have never taken a starter apart and I worry about replacing brushes etc. I have a 2000 Road Glide with a bigger inch motor with compression releases. Any suggestions out there. Thanks

Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 PM
chateau
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many starts on that starter, how long will it last if you fix it, how much are the parts and your time worth? Maybe you just want to fix it and find out. I would! Rebuilt many a starter, but nerver one off a Harley. Might be a pleasure, but not until winter.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:00 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

pretty easy to rebuild, follow the manual.

be VERY careful inside the primary with the battery connected, it is more than easy to activate the starter by manipulating the shaft.

the chain turns and maybe your fingers get plucked off.

seen it.

Mike

Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 AM
scot210
Tourer

I am seeing brand new starters for about 200 clams from J&P and Eastern Performance. Any idea of parts cost to rebuild. Just an average cost??
Thanks

Old 07-02-2011, 05:34 AM
myillearth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rebuild or have rebuilt locally. Most new units are built in China and will not hold up as long.

I work for a large builder here in the states and we have done tons of them. You can do it yourself if you can find parts. If you were stateside I would have you send it to me. We just did two this week. charged $70for one and $60 for the other. Give big breaks to riders.

New they can be pricey.

The following users liked this post:
pearsom (07-09-2017)
Old 07-02-2011, 08:54 AM
scot210
Tourer

Thanks myillearth. I will check around here for a starter rebuild shop. Thanks also for the offer to repair. If shipping wasn't an issue I would have taken you up on the rebuild.
Thanks again. And Happy July 4th.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 AM
rkride
Cruiser

Just had my starter go out on my 08 king. Sounds very similar to what you have and I just replaced the starter clutch assembly for 80.00. I am guessing that this is a known problem due to excessive kickback from the crappy stock compensator. Yes I also changed out the comp with a SE one to hopefully eliminate a failed starter again in the near future

Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 PM
scot210
Tourer

rkride, did you do it yourself?? What type of clutch assembly did you use?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 AM
rkride
Cruiser

scot210 - I was going to do the work myself but my lift broke and besides my indy only charged me 100 bucks for the labor to change the compensator and the clutch assy so I couldn't resist. The starter clutch assy was a stock OEM ordered from Zanotti's but I believe you can get a beefier clutch as an aftermarket product.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Tyler456
Stage II

I would like to have my starter rebuilt. How can I contact you

Originally Posted by myillearth
Rebuild or have rebuilt locally. Most new units are built in China and will not hold up as long.

I work for a large builder here in the states and we have done tons of them. You can do it yourself if you can find parts. If you were stateside I would have you send it to me. We just did two this week. charged $70for one and $60 for the other. Give big breaks to riders.

New they can be pricey.

Quick Reply: Starter, rebuild or replace???