Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which driver's backrest???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 05:10 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 82 Posts

I use the HD backrest on my Road King. In addition to the adjustment on the backrest there are also 4 different mounting holes for the bracket that will move it either forward or back. It took me a little bit to get everything in the right position, but now that it is, it's great.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

i got the adjustable and use it all the time ,on long runs its nice to change seating position every half hour or so.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 PM
GliderX
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Moco P&A catalog says of the HD adjustable backrest "Separate purchase of compatible accessory seat....recommended for '09-'10 FLHX, FLTR, FLTRX, FLHR, FLHRC, FLHXX models". Has anyone used the adjustable backrest on an '09 FLHX with the stock seat?

Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

FWIW I had them install a HD adjustable rest on my new FLHR and I can't really say anything bad about it. Great to adjust on the fly unlike the one on my Goldwing. Main shaft is a little long and I'm thinking of getting it cut down and powdercoated over the winter. Matches the rest of the seating and feels great.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM
scootinz
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I just went through the same thing. I ended up going with the mustang. Don't get me wrong, it works fine, but it does have it's short comings. First of all the adjustable height is worthless, no matter how tight you crank the set screw on the mount, it falls to the lowest setting when going down the road. I rigged a fix for that by wrapping duct tape around the stem. Second, it pulls out of the bracket vey easily, if someone wants to steal it, they can very easily. Ad last, none of the materials match the HD seats very well.

If I were to do it over, I would buy the regular Harley backrest. My buddy has one, and it matches seat perfectly, it can be manually adjusted, and no problems with it dropping.

When you say regular you mean the one without the cable? Anyone know if all the HD pads are the same? Will the same pad fit in either mounting lit (regular or the adjustable one)

Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I have the H-D adjustible and love it.

1) It's removable within seconds, just hit the latch and remove.

2) The height is adjustable, not much but adjustable without tools.

3) You can adjust it while riding on those long trips when you start getting stiff and want a new position.

The only thing I wish it had was a pouch attached to the rear to store items.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

I have the "classic" Harley back rest and I love it. Never had the adjustable, but if the cables rubbing or plastic parts are an issue...I glad Ihave what I have. Once you find the position you like; I dontfind the desire to move the back reston the fly. I can move around on my seat if I need to if sore. Bun time I'm real sore it's usually time to stop for gas or restroom anyway.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Adjustable one works great. No issues with rubbing cables or cheap parts. Adjustable on the fly and the gas piston has a small amount of give making it feel sort of cushioned. I'm happy with mine.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Hunter1979
Advanced

I have the adjustable and love it. You can adjust while you are riding. It was worth every penny.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
Adjustable one works great. No issues with rubbing cables or cheap parts. Adjustable on the fly and the gas piston has a small amount of give making it feel sort of cushioned. I'm happy with mine.
+1, the adjustable is the way to go!

Quick Reply: Which driver's backrest???