Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which driver's backrest???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Moosestache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which driver's backrest???

Ok, I have a regular old harley seat on my 2010 roadking. I want to put a driver backrest on it so now I'm trying to decide which one to use, so I was hoping for some advise.
Here are my 4, I think, choices

1. Adjustable Rider Backrest Mounting Kit from Harley, 52596-09A list of $219 + another $110 bucks or so for the pad 52464-09A .

2. Classic Style Rider Backrest Kit from Harley,52583-09A list of $200 +$40 for the bracket

3. Mustang Driver Backrest $239, not sure if it will fit on a regular Harley seat. http://www.mustangseats.com/Product.aspx?ID=1544

4. Utopia driver backrest $189 looks like it will fit fine. http://www.utpr.com/roadking.html

So what do you guys all think? Which ones do you recommend? Will the mustang rest work with a harley seat?

Thanks for any help you all can give!!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm going through the same dilema. I have heard that the Harley adjustable has some delicate plastic pieces as far as the adjustment mechanism is concerned, and the cable tends to rub the paint as well. In that regard, (if I wanted an adjustable) I think I'd go with the mustang, as they don't have the cable and crap on it. It adjusts on the mount itself. Can't adjust that one on the fly however, which probably isn't such a bad thing?

Now, as far as the non adjustable Harley goes, some say it pushes taller riders forward? As far as I'm concerned, I'm 6' I could stand being a hair more forward, so I guess it depends on how far forward it pushes you? I'm leaning towards the fixed Harley. I like to try and stay with a minimulist looking back rest pad. Not into the Gaudy huge pads. I guess this is an opinions thing? It will be nice to see the reviews and opinions of others on this thread.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD classic! Works fine for me! I'm 6'1",it has height adjustment as well as fore and aft and angle on the pad. You just figure out your comfort zone,set it and forget it!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 AM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

Don't know if they're changed the Mustang backrest in recent years, but I have one on my Honda Valkyrie. The height can't be adjusted while you're moving, but I can reach behind me and turn the thumbscrew to adjust the angle. So far, the Mustang is the choice for my new Street Glide.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by olddude48
I have the HD classic! Works fine for me! I'm 6'1",it has height adjustment as well as fore and aft and angle on the pad. You just figure out your comfort zone,set it and forget it!
+ 1 on the HD non-adjustable.... actually it is adjustable, just not on the fly. took several short runs before I got it where I wanted it. plus, I carry the allen wrench to change the angle it I feel the need. plus it matches the RKC seat and bags.

Last edited by aviator; 07-31-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Moosestache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Mustang rest work with a harley seat?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

What back rest will Fit YOUR back??????????????

Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Moosestache
Does the Mustang rest work with a harley seat?
The last I read, the Mustang backrest does work with the stock Harley seat...at least it did on my Ultra.

With that said, I found the long, chrome shank of the Mustang backrest to be a bit short when using the stock HD seat (of course it works fine with the Mustang seat).

The stock HD seat was a bit too high for the Mustang backrest to fully engage the Mustang fender mount...it just felt a little sloppy for me.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one for sale in the classifieds section - touring parts

Old 07-31-2011, 05:06 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I just went through the same thing. I ended up going with the mustang. Don't get me wrong, it works fine, but it does have it's short comings. First of all the adjustable height is worthless, no matter how tight you crank the set screw on the mount, it falls to the lowest setting when going down the road. I rigged a fix for that by wrapping duct tape around the stem. Second, it pulls out of the bracket vey easily, if someone wants to steal it, they can very easily. Ad last, none of the materials match the HD seats very well.

If I were to do it over, I would buy the regular Harley backrest. My buddy has one, and it matches seat perfectly, it can be manually adjusted, and no problems with it dropping.

Quick Reply: Which driver's backrest???