Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Road Glide -dangerous shaking-front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
ShakeyGlide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Road Glide -dangerous shaking-front-when decelerating

My husband just bought a new 2011 Road Glide (had a 1995 Road king until he bought this).

Within a week of buying it - front end (handle bars shaking so bad- it's dangerous) The PROBELM IS WHEN he DECELS - anyway, it went back to dealership -they tried a few things then they agreed - dangerous wouldn't ride it - (last week my husband stuck around for 6 hours so he could test drive it everytime they worked on it - as well as the mechanic testing it)- so far nothing has worked. Deeley's spoke with Milwakee who told the mechanics to try 2 or 3 things. We're still waiting to hear. The dealer is co-operating - but (apparently) his hands are tied - until he goes thru the process as mentioned above. (We've basically told the dealership to find us a new bike) - but of course they have to go thru the process of elimination etc. - who knows how long that will take? Note- when he 1st took it out of the showroom the 1st 400 klms ride was so smooth he was surprised - then out of nowhere - decelerated & violent shaking - limped home & called dealership to pick it up - afraid to drive it - (never experienced anything like it!!) By the way - IT SHAKES VIOLENTLY EVEN WHEN GRIPPING THE BARS TIGHT! (had no other option but to hold on for dear life! - just about lost control!)

Since posting this - We've had several of the same responses - with decel problems & 'fall away' adjustment.

We want to know if anyone else is having or has had any of these similar issues, & how it was resolved (ie dealership resolved etc.) We are starting to think that this is a (2011+-) problem that HD is aware of but not advising dealerships or owners, which of course is unacceptable when you pay over 20K not to mention the danger to the rider!!

He plans on doing a trip down thru the states in 30 days with a friend - thats why he bought a NEW bike - even if it gets fixed - not going to be so confident - especially taking a trip thru mountains etc.

I'm writing this on his behalf (I'm a little better on the PC)

Please - if any of you have had this issue - maybe there's a problem with some part being defective? It's bad enough being out there & not being seen or heard by drivers - but even worse if the bike itself might kill you!!

From the response you people are giving us - it sure sounds like this is something that H-D knows about!! The question is why isn't there a recall or something, ARE THEY WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO DIE ?? if the dealer knows - he's hiding it well. (The head mechanic there - 20+years - seems totally shocked & said if it were his bike he'd ask them to replace it - & was 'apparently' told from Milwakee ' tell the guy to keep his hands on the bars'. (Great attitude from Harley)

Thanks, appreciate any help or info - again thanks to all who have responded so far. Greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by ShakeyGlide; 08-23-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: up-dating
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a friend that had a problem, if he didn't grip on the bars well the front would wobble, he tried new rotors, rebalanced wheel , and a new tire,
It ended up being the bearings in the steering head , were flat spotted, because of lack of grease getting to it.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Equal amounts of oil in both sides of the forks.
Same with rear shocks.
Fall away correctly adjusted.
Swing arm bushings.
Air pressure.
My brothers bike at 35 MPH the handle bars would waggle gently. He put a bagger brace on it and it stopped doing it. his bike is an 07
good luck

Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
ShakeyGlide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help - it was being narrowed down to bearings - I believe.

Just wondering if this is going to be a recall issue or??? HD in milwakee -- basically told the mechanic (of 20 years) ' tell the guy to put both hands on the bars'.

Great attitude!

Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi,

While you are somewhat stuck going through the CDN Distributor, (Deeley's)- the internet is a powerful resource and you can only gain by being the squeaky wheel.

You guys can contact H-D yourselves.

Maybe get it to a knowledgeable source who can confirm the existence of a problem (like Donny Peterson at Heavy Duty on Danforth in Scarborough)

And you can also involve Ontario Consumer Affairs and Media ( TO Star has "The Fixer")--- hey, if this is an unsafe vehicle- nobody wants it on the same road they drive.
Involve your insurance company they don't wanna pay out a claim for a defective vehicle---
Contact DOT
Is the vehicle financed?--- maybe they'd take up the case, they don't want the complication of a destroyed vehicle.

DO YOU have an attorney, who will contact the Seller, Manufacturer and their agents, warning them of the impending suit should an accident result from normal use.--- Remember you are dealing with a big US Corporation here, you have to get their attention to get the proper use from the vehicle you have purchased.

You should name the Dealer who is looking at this warranty problem--- I just bet with the right kick in the pants they'll sort it out or replace it.---- jeez, If they can't fix that first time out, i don't want them "working" on my bike!

What's the Ontario Lemon Law like these days?

Welcome to the Forums - I hope you get a speedy resolution.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-22-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

all I can add is check Fall-away
tire balance and pressure

sounds like loose steering neck

Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of more than one '11 RG with this issue. Symptom is usually noticed on decel between 45 & 35 mph. Have them check fall away.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:15 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '11 RGC. Same problem. When the bike is coasting and decelerating around the 50kph mark, light grip on the bars and they shake/waggle like crazy. My dealer told me the same thing. HD knows about it, there is no fix avaliable and dont take your hands off the bars! Super advice. Took it back to have it cked and they are booked for a few weeks. Can't touch it. I took it to a great Indy shop and had them ck it. Rebalanced the front wheel which was off, bike has 900km on it, and it does not shake as bad, go figure. I was told the first service at 1600km they ck the steering bearings. Will see what happens. Either way not an acceptable response for a 20k plus bike.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

We rented a 2011 RGU this past January out in Phoenix, AZ from Buddy Stubbs H-D. Same problem. The bars oscillated violently, especially during decel. Hands-off riding (which I can do for miles on my Limited) was never an option. The bike only had around 800 miles on it when I picked it up, so it definitely wasn't worn parts. I had occasion to ride another 2011 RGU this spring and noted the same issue, but not quite as violent.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

The majority of problems with front end wobble on the new bikes, 09 up tends to be related to the steering head bearings and adjustment (fall away).

Quick Reply: New Road Glide -dangerous shaking-front end