Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride after Andrews 21 install

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:09 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
When you went 98 did you bore your stock jugs or go with aftermarket ones?
Had the stocks bored out. Recommended by my builder Andrew Rosa.

The following users liked this post:
just plain john (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 PM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by howitzer88
Well, I was just gonna do the 21's in my 06, but then I thought about where I eventually want to go without spending $$$ on a new bike. Ended up with 98", flat tops, CNC heads, and Wood 5G gear cams. Also had the DP centrifugal pressure clutch installed which really made the difference how the clutch engages. Anyway, I'm very happy with the mods and I can easily pull away from stock 103's.
wow, that is one nice outcome. You must be supper pleased. Sweet

The following users liked this post:
howitzer88 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 01:03 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by howitzer88
Well, I was just gonna do the 21's in my 06, but then I thought about where I eventually want to go without spending $$$ on a new bike. Ended up with 98", flat tops, CNC heads, and Wood 5G gear cams. Also had the DP centrifugal pressure clutch installed which really made the difference how the clutch engages. Anyway, I'm very happy with the mods and I can easily pull away from stock 103's.

I can't ever see the benefit of tearing down a perfectly good engine to do upgrades, so I'm sticking with just my 21's and Cobra PowrPro. But when she starts using oil and needs a refresh,,,,,Well, I'm saving your chart. That's a sweet result from your mods.

What are you using for fuel management?

Old 08-01-2016, 01:18 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
I can't ever see the benefit of tearing down a perfectly good engine to do upgrades, so I'm sticking with just my 21's and Cobra PowrPro. But when she starts using oil and needs a refresh,,,,,Well, I'm saving your chart. That's a sweet result from your mods.

What are you using for fuel management?
Using the PCIII. No 02 sensors here. Believe me, I was on the fence about tearing apart my stock 88 for the upgrades, but after lengthy discussions and plenty of reading on HDForums, I made the decision. Only thing I still need to get used to are the noisier gear cams. What is also very important is who is actually doing the work. Very few shops in the NY area I would trust.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for your reply, Howitzer88.

I've had my gear drive 21's since 30,000 miles, and only once have I heard them whine. We were in the Four Corners area on an extremely hot day, and I couldn't figure out what the noise was that I was hearing.

Properly set up, according to the Joe Minton articles that I based my decision on, they shouldn't make much noise at all. Rocky, the ace mechanic at Mankato, Mn., Harley Davidson (Thunder in the Valley), installed them for me.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:11 PM
thaddeus2364
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it has a sheared o-ring on oil pump sump. Kinda sounds like power loss when mine was sheared , runs the same just didn't rev like it should & maybe not as much power but still smooth. I would hope for more power with a cam swap then what you getting mines not far from that with stock cams.
I'm starting to think some of this in the throttle and clutch position (and maybe my head). The clutch was adjusted so now it engages later than I am used to. Also If I crack the throttle just before engage it definitely has more pull. When I run it through the gears with more throttle, it does feel like its pulling hard, its just that its so much smoother than it felt before, but lots of throttle definitely wakes it up. Now I'm on the fence as to if there is something wrong or its just in my head. That initial pull in first seamed to come on with virtually no throttle before the upgrade. I was smiling a lot more yesterday when i got on the throttle. Still plan to talk to the tuner, just didn't get a chance today.