Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mythical Stage One Download ?

Old 09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts
Default Mythical Stage One Download ?

Alright guys ... Long read but here goes! Here's the situation. About a year ago I put on a set of Rush Slip-Ons and a Ness Big Sucker. I took it to the local dealer to have some other service work ( maintenance ) and the Stage One Download installed. I paid $150.00 for the download. I not a throttle yanker with this bike ( 2009 FLHTCU ) I just wanted a bit more "noise" and maybe a little more grunt. The bike seemed to be ok then towards the end of the season the idle got a bit lower. Through a series of events ( which I won't go into here ) I was told by the dealer that when I brought the bike in for service before the warranty ran out they would check the idle and see what they could do. They told me that they did a different Stage One Download ( apparently there are several that can be done ). I picked up the bike and it did idle better and seemed to run fine. Last week a bunch of us were in the UP and everyone grabbed a handful of throttle and took off, and so did I but much to my surprise the bike hit the rev limiter at 5600 rpm's. To be honest I don't recall getting on the throttle to the red line before. I was under the impression ( actually I was told by the dealer ) that the Stage One Download would increase the rev limiter from 5600 rpm's up to 6200 rpm's. When I got back in town I stopped by the dealer and inquired about the situation. After some "gum beating" with the service writer ( he couldn't confirm or deny the increase in the rev limiter ) he checked with one of the techs. He came out and told me that the Stage One download DEFINITELY WOULD NOT increase the rpm's form 5600 to 6200 rpm's. I told him thanks and went on my way. I just happened to come across a thread about Stage One Downloads and thought I'd read it. Of course some are saying that the Stage One Download does increase the rpm's. That got me thinking so I spent the next hour calling dealers in Southeast Michigan asking about my situation. After talking with 6 different dealers, 4 told me that the download WOULD NOT increase the rpm's while 2 told me it would. Hmmmm! So I thought I'd go to the "experts". I called Harley Customer Service and conveyed my situation to them and after checking with one of the "head technicians" was told that the Stage One Download definitely WOULD NOT increase the rpm's! What do you say? Was your rev limiter changed after your Stage One Download? Are you sure? Did you actually check it by running up to and past 5600 rpm's to 6200 rpm's? If it does is the Stage One Download the only ECM adjustment that you have done? I'd like to hear from those of you who have had the Stage One Download done and can definitively answer the question as to the increase in the rpm's. Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you have any input I'd appreciate it. "Uncle Larry"

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 09-05-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM
ppalmerjr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I saw your post a week ago. I had the download on my 2009 xbones but have since traded it in on a 2012 rgc. Contemplating the download for this new on too.

subscribed

Old 09-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't find a good tech that you trust to do your downloads/tunes (I have found that most HD dealers can't) you might look at the Dyno Jet Power Vision. Do a little reading on it at Fuel Moto website and then give those guys a call.

You have a computer, all you need is the Power Vision. You can tweak the maps (downloads) anyway you like and the PV has auto tune capability.

Downside is it cost about $500. But if you add cams in the future or are just not satisfied with the dealer tune, you don't have to drop more cash to put a tune on your scoot. It could very easily pay for itself.

The guys at Fuel Moto are recommending these over the PC-V's with auto tune module. (which they also sell)

Old 09-05-2011, 06:03 PM
ppalmerjr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
If you can't find a good tech that you trust to do your downloads/tunes (I have found that most HD dealers can't) you might look at the Dyno Jet Power Vision. Do a little reading on it at Fuel Moto website and then give those guys a call.

You have a computer, all you need is the Power Vision. You can tweak the maps (downloads) anyway you like and the PV has auto tune capability.

Downside is it cost about $500. But if you add cams in the future or are just not satisfied with the dealer tune, you don't have to drop more cash to put a tune on your scoot. It could very easily pay for itself.

The guys at Fuel Moto are recommending these over the PC-V's with auto tune module. (which they also sell)

Great product if you don;t mind voiding your factory warranty.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My SG is a 2009 also. I had the Stage 1 download done when my bike was new. It ABSOLUTELY / DEFINATELY bumped my rev limit 6200 rpms. I have since put on a PCV and it still goes to 6200 rpm "A redline a day keeps the carbon away!!"
From one "Uncle Larry" to another, LOL

Old 09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Not wearing Harley jeans while riding voids your warranty. What part of the warranty will be void if you add a PC-V or a Power Vision? The whole thing or just the engine? What part of the engine the whole thing or certain parts?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:59 PM
ppalmerjr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
Not wearing Harley jeans while riding voids your warranty. What part of the warranty will be void if you add a PC-V or a Power Vision? The whole thing or just the engine? What part of the engine the whole thing or certain parts?
I had a PCV on my 2009 crossbones and the dealer found that my ECM was fried. They stated that it was fried due to a malfunction in the PCV. They honored my case because the installed the PCV but from this point forward they inform that they will not install PCV's nor will they honor any warranty claims if they deem that the PCV caused a malfunction in the bike.

The powervision is a little tricky since there isnt a part that the dealer can see. So I;m not sure how the dealer will handle this situation. I'm in talks with one of the dynajet VP's to determine what exactly the dealer can determine after a powervision flash of your ECM.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ppalmerjr
Great product if you don;t mind voiding your factory warranty.
Take a look at this http://www.zabteck.com/MagnusonMossWarrantyAct.pdf. Print it out and take it to your dealer. There was also a good article in AIM Magazine this month on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

One of the the things that it says is that if a company requires that you use their part and services to keep your warranty in tact, then the company must provide you with those parts and services - FREE OF CHARGE.

So if Harley says you must use their tuner and techs to keep your warranty in tact, tell the service manager he is obligated under federal law to provide it to you for free.

Harley is full of crap when it comes to warranties (and other things). Of course they will do or not do anything they want. This is your legal recourse should you need it. This piece of legislation probably deserves a thread of it's own, if it's not here already.

Last edited by Woollymonster; 09-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:28 PM
ppalmerjr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
Take a look at this http://www.zabteck.com/MagnusonMossWarrantyAct.pdf. Print it out and take it to your dealer. There was also a good article in AIM Magazine this month on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

One of the the things that it says is that if a company requires that you use their part and services to keep your warranty in tact, then the company must provide you with those parts and services - FREE OF CHARGE.

So if Harley says you must use their tuner and techs to keep your warranty in tact, tell the service manager he is obligated under federal law to provide it to you for free.

Harley is full of crap when it comes to warranties (and other things). Of course they will do or not do anything they want. This is your legal recourse should you need it.

Have you had an issue with a warranty claim and used this to get it fixed? I have seen many many many posts of people quoting this "warranty act" but not sure how we as consumers (not lawyers) can fight HD.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I will second that the download brings the rev limiter up to 6200. I have in the past run my bike up to the limit when riding buddies "grab a little throttle". I now have the Rev Performance EMS installed and still have a 6200 rev limit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mythical Stage One Download ?