Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling........Fuel Mgmt. ?? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Stalling........Fuel Mgmt. ?? Help!

I need some help here guys.

I have a recently acquired '07 Ultra and here is the situation.

From the day I picked up the bike (the first time was after a fuel filling and departure from the station) I have on rare occasions experienced some hesitation and slight backfire on acceleration and almost a stall. This has occurred approximately a dozen times over the past 3 months or so, which is about 2,000 miles of riding. Today, on my way home from work, it actually did stall as I approached a stop. Then, for the rest of the ride home, I was having to feather the throttle at subsequent stops for fear of more stalling.

The bike has always idled on the low side (900RPM), compared to my '04 FXDLI which purrs at 1,000 RPM like a clock. The idle on the Ultra is rough as well with a lot of dips, more picked up by feel and sound than what registers on the tach. Almost like I remember a race cam would sound, whereas the stalling effect or appearance of a stall was eminent. Like......."potato, potato. potato..pu.pu.pu..potato...potato........" I hope this describes what I mean. My TC88 Dyna, as I said, purrs like a kitten and it is the only other Harley I have ever owned and it was bought new. I put the stage 1 on it consisting of a Big Sucker, Rev-tech DFO and Vance and Hines Big Shots. I know the DFO has a bad reputation but is has done me very well for over 20K miles.

As far as the upgrades on the Ultra. I bought from the second owner and didn't get alot of information as far as aftermarket stuff. What is obvious is the following:
Rinehart slip ons.
High flow air filter.
Stage 1 download. (I can't find a FM module onboard (Power Commander or something like it) but I can run the Tach up to 6K, so I am told the stock ECM will not surpass 5800, I assume the S1 Download).

So basically I need some help to diagnose and solve this problem. I am not happy with the prospect of losing power as I approach a stop, or upon acceleration either, for that matter. We are talking about some high value cargo (wifey) who would not take kindly to being dumped along the side of the road....in traffic or not!

So, can I simply add a PCV for example and download a map, considering I don't know all that has been done to the bike besides what I mentioned as obvious? Or do I need to be concerned with the current state of the download. I guess this is why some of us will only buy new. It's not like buying a used car, is it?

Last edited by danzio; 09-09-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 PM
DSMHAWG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some problems with the fuel caps on some 07's and fuel line problems in the fuel tank. Take a listen to the fuel pump as it starts. Some of the 07's had rubbed a hole in the fuel line over time. DSMHAWG

Old 09-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A common problem with 07's. Seems to revolve around the SE Air Filter and Idle Air Control (IAC).
Lots of reading here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...le-issues.html

Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

O2 sensor may be malfunctioning.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the engine light on...any fault codes? If there are, may point you in the right direction. Historic codes?

+1 on the IAC...easy to check..can also spray some carb cleaner up into it. Have to take the intake assembly off. Use clean rags so you don't let any crud get into the throttle body.

Maybe:
fuel filter
spark plugs...wires
TPS
CPS
Injector
Intake Seal/gaskets

or any of the sensor electrical plugs/connections.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:46 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain

As far as Mapping....

I purchased a Powervision from Fuelmoto.

Very user friendly, Can save and load maps per your upgrades, can look at maps and change settings on them, can use on any bike to view fault codes - but it gets tied to your bike for calibrations/maps. Can put the dealer installed map back into the bike and they will never know.

Can also mount it like a Garmin and view different parameters while you ride....Tach....Mpg....etc....

Fuelmoto has great customer service.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

Just out of curiousity when was the last time your fuel filter was changed?
On the new-er ones my understanding is that the filter is in the gas tank?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:51 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Just out of curiousity when was the last time your fuel filter was changed?
On the new-er ones my understanding is that the filter is in the gas tank?
Don't know, being a new to me bike. But it did just have the 20K service done before I bought it.

From Scorpion07: A common problem with 07's. Seems to revolve around the SE Air Filter and Idle Air Control (IAC).
Lots of reading here:

I read through pretty much the entire post and I can say there are too many of the IAC Motors appearing to be the culprit. I went ahead and pulled the AC and did the cleaning procedure. I didn't have any carb cleaner but did have some electrical contact cleaner which I sprayed into the orifice. I didn't see any dark residue come out but the AC backing plate was choked with oil/carbon residue. I did a general cleaning and upon startup, once the cleaner ran through, the bike idled well. After a few miles it was idling at 1000 rpm's but once fully warmed up it was back to 900-1000 in what others have described as a searching mode, kinda' a rough idle. However no hesitation on throttle and no wanting to stall. Whether or not I need to replace the IAC Motor I guess time will tell.
I do have another question.....upon removing the AC unit and cleaning off the backing plate I found a connector, it was capped off but just hanging from the connector going into the Throttle Body. Is this left over from the stock intake or should it be connected to something?

There is no check engine light.

From mrmudd4x4: "As far as Mapping....

I purchased a Powervision from Fuelmoto."

Will this or a similar product allow warm idle changes or is this something only the ECM can adjust as is stated in the service manual.

Thanks guys for your help.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:47 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain

if there are no faults....would be looking at changing the fuel filter.

Something else you can try is run a can of SeaFoam fuel cleaner through the tank. Half a bottle per tank full. That stuff is a little expensive...but works very good. (autozone or advance auto has it)

If the bike runs better after the SeaFoam.....plan on changing the fuel filter for sure....I changed mine at 17K....it was a little nasty.

Yes...the powervision lets you adjust every portion of the calibration/map, whether it is the dealer download or a map emailed/downloaded from Fuelmoto or Dynojet.

If you purchase from Fuelmoto....just tell them whats on the bike, and they will send a very good map to install. They can also help on adjusting any parameters in the map you have....just let them know what you want to accomplish and what problems you are having.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:44 PM
kdogg333
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my ultra was running great then idle was real low started popping and now runs and stalls any suggestions?the fuel pump seems to be making a different noise.