Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrod Adjustment for DUMMIES ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:05 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem might not be your pushrod adjustment. Valve train noise is something that is difficult if not impossible to find a solve. You found the right video for pushrod adjustment and I hope that works. Beyond that you might be looking at shiming rocker arms, using different lifters, using a different cam...The list goes on. Expensive to solve and there is no guarantee you will.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That video saved me hundreds in installation costs. Definitely appreciated and made me buy a bunch of stuff I otherwise would have passed on due to the effort. Easiest install I've done in a long while

Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by scottdoege
Can someone please provide me with a step by step procedure on how to perform the adjustment? Please include how to find top dead center, which cylinder to start with, which pushrod to adjust first (intake / exhaust), bleed down, etc. I plan on doing the adjustment again in order to take the "slop" out of the pushrods and quiet down the ticking...
Here's a generic method that will work on any 4-stroke pushrod type engine, whether HD, Honda, Ford, Chevy, etc.

Remove the spark plugs so you can turn the engine over easily and also so you can see into the cylinder.

Rotate the engine while observing the lifter travel relative to piston travel.

As the piston approaches TDC it can be either the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke.

If it's the exhaust stroke, the exhaust valve will be closing and the intake valve will be opening as the piston approaches TDC. You will make this determination by observing the lifter travel as noted above.

If it's the compression stroke, both valves will be in the closed position as the piston approaches TDC. Again, you will make this determination by observing the lifter travel as noted above.

TDC of the compression stroke is where the lifters are on the cam's base circle and where you want to adjust the pushrods.

A few degrees either way from true TDC won't make any difference, so simply visually verifying TDC is close enough.

Simply repeat this process for each cylinder and you can do them in any sequence you want.

As for the video, I also agree that it is very well done and anyone who has never done a cam replacement and is considering doing it could benefit from seeing it.

The only things I would add is:

Like djl said in an earlier post, I also prefer the TDC/compression stroke rather than the opposite cylinder overlap method shown on the video to get the cams on the base circle. Either will work just as effectively so it's really just a matter of personal preference.

Another thing I noticed on the video that wasn't explained thoroughly is that when you apply the loctite to the fasteners, be sure the male and female threads of the joint are free from any oils and clean them with solvent if necessary. He did mention this quickly for the crankshaft screw but nowhere else. If there is any oil on the threads the loctite will not be as effective.

And finally, another personal preference, I like to take the extra time to remove the rocker boxes and pushrods rather than cutting the stock pushrods; and then re-using the stock (or other fixed length) pushrods in lieu of adjustables. I simply do not see any advantage to adjustable pushrods other than the time/labor saving. From a mechanical perspective, I'll take fixed length pushrods over adjustables any day.

Good luck

Last edited by 2black1s; 10-08-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM
6023zub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottdoege
Last winter I installed a Woods TW6 cam into my 07 Ultra and used adjustable pushrods. I used Fuelmoto's adjustable pushrods and also installed woods knight prowler directional lifters for my install. Everything is working fine, except I am hearing excessive ticking from my rocker boxes especially around 2700 rpm.

I followed the instructions that came with the pushrods as well as the information in my maintenance manual, plus I gathered a few instructional methods from this forum when doing the pushrod adjustment. I think the pushrod adjustment was the hardest part of my cam swap; imo.

Can someone please provide me with a step by step procedure on how to perform the adjustment? Please include how to find top dead center, which cylinder to start with, which pushrod to adjust first (intake / exhaust), bleed down, etc. I plan on doing the adjustment again in order to take the "slop" out of the pushrods and quiet down the ticking...

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Scott,

I am experiencing the same ticking above about 2500 rpm. Did your adjustments remedy this problem? If so, what exactly did you do?

Thanks,

Buz

Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I simply do not see any advantage to adjustable pushrods other than the time/labor saving. From a mechanical perspective, I'll take fixed length pushrods over adjustables any day.
Good luck
Agree on fixed length over adjustables but sometimes valve train stack up will required adjustables or a set of custom fixed length; custom gets expensive.