Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike dies going down the road

Old 10-16-2011, 04:45 PM
randy switzer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike dies going down the road

I have a 2004 electra glide standard(the add on's are a 95 kit, power commander,true duuals,air cleaner and gear driven cams) I've had the bike since it was new. It now has 58,000 miles. The problem i'm having is the bike dies while going down the road(like you turned the key off or hit the kill switch). It doesn't matter if you're going 15mph or 75mph. When i make it over to the side of the road and stop,i turn the key off then back on. It starts back up every time and i'm back on my way. It's happened 5 times in the last year. No pattern, just every once in awhile. It is not throwing out any codes. The mechanic changed out the tip over module(230.00),but that didn't fix it. He said that if he can't reproduce the problem, he can't fix it. Has anybody out there had this problem? One of these days, its going to happen at the wrong place at the wrong time

Old 10-16-2011, 04:54 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had the same problem off and off too. Why do you coast to the side of the road, did you just try hitting the start button as soon as it died? This is what I do and it starts right back up. I think it might be one of the sensors but not sure.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,533 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Sounds like the 40 amp Main fuse is tripping. There was a recall on earlier models like my 2000 and they boosted the amps on the breaker. Maybe yours is just getting a little old...? Ask your tech.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,943 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Originally Posted by randy switzer
Bike dies going down the road
Well there's your problem, you should be going up the road and not down the road!

Some other causes could be the start/kill switch or the ignition switch. There have been several ignition switches where the contacts in the rear where the three wires come in get too hot and destroys the switch/connections. I would have your tech check those two things out.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 07 RK had the same problem, anywhere at any speed. Found one of the connectors in the headlight was not fully seated. Had to use a pair of channel locks to get it to click. No problems since. Over 3,000 miles.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Throttle harness inside the housing may be pinched. Mine does it due to the Run Turn Brake module. Dealer has no clue why nor does the MoCo. The MoCo philosophy is, if the MoCo doesn't acknowledge a problem, one doesn't exist. I had to figure mine out on my own! The HD Run Turn brake module is much worse the the Badlands I now have installed.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2000 did that and it was the ignition switch plug in had dropped just a hair. Took it apart and cleaned it up and bent the terminals a little and problem solved. I also added a tie strap around it just to be sure it did not drop again.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

You have either a bad ignition switch contact or a short in the kill-switch wiring either inside the right switch housing or somewhere else in that circuit. Loosen the switch housing clamp, start the bike, then wiggle the switch housing and see if you can kill the bike. This should tell you at least where the problem "isn't". If this produces no fruit, then check out the contacts on the ignition switch.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 AM
randy switzer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
I've had the same problem off and off too. Why do you coast to the side of the road, did you just try hitting the start button as soon as it died? This is what I do and it starts right back up. I think it might be one of the sensors but not sure.
I tried that......didn't work. You have to come to a complete stop,turn the key off then back on before the bike will start again.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:27 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by randy switzer
I tried that......didn't work. You have to come to a complete stop,turn the key off then back on before the bike will start again.

this sounds like the same problem my buddy has on his 04 fatboy, the shop has had it for 1 week now, and they said they can't find the problem, I'll let him know about the ignition switch, his doesn't throw out any codes either, if you find out let me know. thanks

Last edited by vtwinbob; 10-18-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike dies going down the road