Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Stopped Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry Cruise Control Stopped Engaging

All of sudden today, my cruise control will not engage. The cruise control light on the dash lights up as normal (orange) but won’t engage (green light)

A little background; Yesterday I pulled the seat to open up the battery compartment getting ready to install my harness for my Gerbings heated gloves in anticipation of the mailman bringing the new gloves, harness, etc. Mail came and no package so I had to put things back together. I had bit of hard time getting the seat back on because I didn’t get the battery cover in correctly and I was pushing down on the seat struggling to get the seat on. Once I got the battery cover on correctly, the seat went on fine. This morning I was headed out for our annual Bakersfield Toy Run (6,000 bikes showed up…yes, 6000. I was told today the toy run is the largest in the country…don’t know if that is true or not) In any case, riding over to the toy run, the cruise control did not work. Since I was pushing hard on the seat trying to get it on, is there a wire or plug or something under the seat that controls the cruise control? I haven’t check the fuses to see if there is an issue there ( by the way, which fuse controls the cruise control?). Sorry for the long post.

Any thoughts on what may be the issue.
2009 Ultra Classic

Old 12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

have you done any changes to your handlerbars? some riders move the controls with out shimming the brake light switch and break it, which will affect the CC.

Other than that it's get out the manual and trace through the electrical system

mike

Old 12-11-2011, 04:49 PM
RDK09
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Terra, did u have the recall on ur rear brake switch done yet? I know if theres a failure with either brake switches it will affect the cruise

Last edited by RDK09; 12-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Terrabella
Road Master

I did nothing to the controls on the handle bar and yes, I did have the recall done on the rear brake switch. Also, I have the Harley manual but for the life of me, I can't find a section on " cruise control", does anyone know what page and or\section it would be in?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, the rear brake light switch went out on my 2010 EGC and the cruz went out too. Try unplugging a wire from the switch and see if it works then. Also, my brake light stayed on when the switch went out. unplugging the switch will make the light go off and the cruz to work. Atleast on my ride it did. Hope this helps...

Old 12-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Terrabella
I did nothing to the controls on the handle bar and yes, I did have the recall done on the rear brake switch.
Also, I have the Harley manual but for the life of me, I can't find a section on " cruise control", does anyone know what page and or\section it would be in?
Are you looking in the Service Manual, or the Electronic Diagnostic Manual (EDM)?
The diagnosis of the Cruise Control is in the EDM in Section 4.27 starting on page 4-130. Called DTC P0557.
(Don't ask me why it is call that)

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 12-11-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Terrabella
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
Are you looking in the Service Manual, or the Electronic Diagnostic Manual (EDM)?
The diagnosis of the Cruise Control is in the EDM in Section 4.27 starting on page 4-130. Called DTC P0557.
(Don't ask me why it is call that)
Thanks, I was looking in the wrong manual. You are correct, this section is exactly what I needed. Again, appreciate the heads up.

Last edited by Terrabella; 12-12-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I would look at is the rear brake light switch. Had the same problem a few months before the recall was announced and realized my brake light was staying on. Got that fixed and cruise worked fine.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the brake light fuse.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
SteveUltra
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no seperate cruise control module or control servo on your bike. Cruise control on Throttle by wire bikes is a function of the pcm and the electronic throttle body. The pcm already has control over the throttle plate so to add cruise to a bike with electronic throttle control all the manufacture has to do is add the switches to the handle bars (so the rider can input desired speed) and add software to the pcm (to make cruise decisions). The pcm already has inputs from the brake switches and clutch switch and vehical speed sensor. This being said I would look carefully at the pcm connector, I know Harley had an issue with some seats coming in contact with the connector and causing issues. If the battery cover was not on correctlly that would cause the seat to push on the pcm and connector. Also be aware that the pcm will not allow crusie control operation if there are any electronic throttle control codes set. Search this forum for info on reading and clearing codes thru your odometer.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Stopped Engaging