Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about Primary oil level??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Quick question about Primary oil level??

I'm tracking when you change the primary fluid you add the amount the manual says depending on year and bike model and as a rule of thumb if you can't see it after adding the correct amount add more until you can see it through the derby cover with the bike level not on the kickstand, and never put so much in that it goes over the bottom of the clutch spring ( I use to think it had to reach the bottom of the clutch spring but was corrected by an old biker years ago that it doesn't, it just can't go over it).

My question is, after helping a buddy change his fluids we added and checked everything and all was good. When we filled his primary with the required amount as per the owners manual it was visable and just about at the bottom of the clutch spring but not touching. Sealed everything up and sent him on his way, I noticed when he got on the bike it dropped quite a bit and he has it lowered 1". Seeing how far his bike sank made me wonder if we might have added to much oil in the primary? I'm not sure how far over ther the clutch spring it would have been over but I'm sure it is. So I was wondering if maybe I should recheck his Primary levels with him sitting on the bike? Any of you heavier guys with lowered bike ever run into any trouble with the clutch slpping by having to much primary oil?
I know it will still work but I don't want his clutch life reduced because I added to much oil.

Anyone know or have any help for me on this so I can fix it before it might become a problem? Tried a search but nothing to do with this was found.
Thanks

Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

this is the first time I have ever heard of rider size/weight having anything to do with fliud levels on a bike. Lowering either, I don't think it makes any differnece, as long as you are filling to factory specs...just my 2c

Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I think your over thinking this

Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

this is not a crucial measurement.

the clutch plates need some lube to work ( new plates are soaked in lube before install)

fill to the bottom of edge of the clutch basket ( bike on jiffy) and go

Mike

Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Okay, I just didn't want to be the reason his clutch went out.
Mine and his softail owners manual clearly stated to check the fluid level while the bike was level not on the jiffy stand, but the correct amount was added.
Thanks for the replies

Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes no sense. When you sit on the bike the whole bike drops not the clutch within the primary?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:07 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by JohnFlorida
That makes no sense. When you sit on the bike the whole bike drops not the clutch within the primary?
Only the rear of his bike drops, not the front. The angle of his primary case that holds the oil is at an angle were most of the fluid is towards the rear. The clutch is towards the rear were all the oil is going, the rear of his bike is dropping close to two and half inches it looks like after he sits on it. And it's already an inch lower than stock. Not to worried about it as other have said it shouldn't matter but when I saw how low it was dropping in the rear only I thought I wouldn't get blasted for asking.
Thanks for the help

Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some will say only a quart after change (not removing primary cover) I add 38oz's and if I don't my se compensator will make noise at 50 mph and up.. I have no issues getting in neutral and comp is very quiet going down road however it and the chain is a bit noisy when cold and rapp'n some r's... BTW that is not with bike on jiffy stand that is bike standing straight up the oil level is to the bottom of clutch basket that is how I do it on my bike..

Last edited by Reaper22; 12-14-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Just put in the amount called out in the manual and dont worry about it. the amount does vary by models and year.