Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about adding Smart Security System

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 06:54 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have it all, HD siren, HD pager, HD no button FOB alarm, early warning LOJAK and a ROAD LOCK (dealer installed front wheel lock) and a NON logo cover for overnights at hotels........ my only question..... why the hell do I have insurance ??????

Bottom line if someone wants to steal your bike they will. I like the fact that I try to protect myself but nothing is 100%. The factory alarm is pretty good and is a plug in rather than someone 'cutting into' the wires on your bike. I ride with a large group with members thought out the world and I personally have not heard of anyone having alarm problems other then dead FOB batteries. I travel and like that by keeping the bike HD any dealership 'should' be able to fix it if needed.

As far as not locking the lock I always turn the wheel and lock the lock when the bike will be out of eye sight. I am not worry about some one 'riding' away more them pushing it onto a trailer, van, etc. But lock the wheel to the side this will slow them down a little. Just my 2 cents, be safe and Happy New Year !! JIM

Last edited by HDJIM1158; 12-31-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: .
Old 12-31-2011, 06:54 AM
danny54
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought my new ultra without security, Definitly didn't want it, To much trouble. I just lock the forks.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only had trouble with my HD security when the Fob battery died a little earlier then I expected it to. The easy fix was to start carrying a spare battery and to not carry my cellphone and Fob right next to each other. I think the Fob trying to compete with the cellphone contributed to the battery dying early. The batteries are so small though that it's nothing to carry one somewhere on the bike. I am thinking about getting the siren since it occurred to me that the alarm system is useless without an audible siren for the people who just pick the bike up and throw it in a van. I'm also hoping my Purple Heart license plate helps since what kind of A-hole will steal a wounded vets bike. That's probably wishful thinking on my part though

Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the smart security II system with two fobs, optional audible alarm, and the rechargeable pager. I bought the rechargeable pager because of some of the stories I read on here regarding the model with replaceable batteries...most owners complained about it eating batteries.

I had the older security system on my 2004 Ultra. The one with the buttons. It worked ok, but (IMO) the new modern RF system is superior.

When in a motel room, I always lock the bike up, including the forks. Although I like to get the bike as close to my room as possible, if it's really close, like outside the window close, I will put my FOB on the other side of the room. I don't want it to be close enough to the bike for the ignition to be enabled for the bad guy. Then I set my pager to beep, lay it beside my Glock 20, and go to sleep.

Always be aware of how to manually override the security system in the event you lose your fob or if the 2032 battery inside the fob fails. All of this will be explained in the literature. Some even carry an extra 2032 battery. The common sense recommendation is to change the battery in the fob annually.

You can also search the forum and find a ton of info on this subject.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a "Digital Guard Dog" since 05, always works, never changed a battery and less expensive than the HD unit.