Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neutral is a Bit@# to find???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:02 AM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral is a Bit@# to find???

On my 2012 SG neutral is so damn difficult to find, what gives?? Nothing is bent, the bike shifts great but this has to be the most difficult bike to shift into neutral. I'm hoping with mileage it will get easier. Why can't HD have a system like Kawasaki with an automatic neutral finder????

Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 AM
jg848
Advanced

Originally Posted by dlongo8241
On my 2012 SG neutral is so damn difficult to find, what gives?? Nothing is bent, the bike shifts great but this has to be the most difficult bike to shift into neutral. I'm hoping with mileage it will get easier. Why can't HD have a system like Kawasaki with an automatic neutral finder????
That's 100% normal....don't sweat it. My 2012 and 2011 are like that. It also needs to break in a little bit. My 2011 FLHX was super-touchy. You'll notice that when the engine is off there is no issue finding N. When the engine is on and transmission getting warm it gets very precise. There's also a trick that you'll need to learn with the heel/toe shifter---it's a certain amount of pressure applied when going from 1st to N.

You'll get it....but don't sweat it...most SGs are like that. It's normal.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 AM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My previous bike (2001 Yamaha VStar 1100) was super easy to find neutral. So much so that I always accidentally went into neutral when shifting up from 1st to 2nd from a stop. Kinda embarrassing. But then I got the RKC and I found it REALLY difficult. But now I pretty much got the hang of it. You just need a light foot. Watching my dealer go into neutral actually helped me find it. He kinda lightly tapped the shifter quickly till it "clicked".

Old 01-07-2012, 03:27 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Had the same problem with my '09 and was in the dealer getting oil, parts guy turned me on to Lucas Oil Stabilizer( I know this is going to open up a world of oil gurus sayin' it's BS.) I add about 5-6 oz every time I change the tranny fluid(which is every 5,000 miles when I change all 3 holes) and I have no problem at all finding neutral I am a believer.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 AM
Steel Billet
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jg848
That's 100% normal....don't sweat it. My 2012 and 2011 are like that. It also needs to break in a little bit. My 2011 FLHX was super-touchy. You'll notice that when the engine is off there is no issue finding N. When the engine is on and transmission getting warm it gets very precise. There's also a trick that you'll need to learn with the heel/toe shifter---it's a certain amount of pressure applied when going from 1st to N.

You'll get it....but don't sweat it...most SGs are like that. It's normal.
That's right put in 1st quick tap with the heel. I dont know if it gets broke in or you become a pro at doing it either way it gets better.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:48 AM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm from a different era, 90 fxrs-sp, but I don't really worry about neutral, I stop, shut off motor, go to neutral. I guess if you sit at stop lights a lot finding neutral would be handy.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell , I have not been able to find neutral on mine yet (couple hundred miles) , but stop and shut the bike off, goes into neutral no problem. Read some threads on her that perhaps first warranty/dealer inspection/first clutch adjustment helps fix this very common problem ?

Old 01-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with mine until I adjusted the linkage slightly. Now it falls right in...

Old 01-07-2012, 04:30 AM
DMC1
Cruiser

My 2012 SG is the same way. It gets better. I find it pretty easy now.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 AM
alphadog001
Tourer

Check your trans fluid level. If it is not at the mark it should be you will have this problem. Most new bikes I have seen have the trans fluid just barely touching the end of the stick.

Get out your manual and check it per the instructions, (on kickstand with dipstick not screwed in). Then add a very small amount at a time to get to the proper mark on the stick.

Both my last two bikes were low from the dealer. Once I added to the proper level neutral hasn't been a problem finding.

Check it out

Quick Reply: neutral is a Bit@# to find???